Middle 13" & Base 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kirito, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Kirito macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So I decided to create an account just to start up this thread, because I'm still having trouble deciding after reading many threads on Macrumors.

So I'll be getting a new laptop for University soon. I'm in my final year and I'm studying Design/Photography, so I'll be preparing for my graduation exhibition all year. I also have a pretty big music collection (around 60GB) and I don't game. If I ever decide to play a little games, my aging PC sort of gets the job done. This new laptop will sort of be a desktop replacement. I handle a lot of large RAW files and from time to time, I do a bit of Graphic Design-related tasks (pamphlet designs, book designs, etc.). Programs I use are the usual Adobe products: Lightroom, Photoshop, InDesign and sometimes Illustrator.

My dilemma is basically deciding between the 13" or base 15" MBP haswell. As much as I would love to own the high end 15", it's just way too expensive for me right now. I currently own a 2010 15" MBP with the faulty graphics card/motherboard issue. Before it died, I think it was sufficient enough for my needs. Based on that, I'm assuming the 13" graphics will be okay. But that's just me assuming, I haven't exactly used it so I don't know for sure. I'm leaning towards the middle model for the 13". I know the size will probably take some time for me to get used to, but I'll probably hook it up to an external monitor when working at home.

For the 15" I'm only able to afford the base model. I think the quad core would help me greatly if if I ever decide to explore filmography. Plus the screen size would make working outside of home much easier. In terms of portability, I think if I managed to lug around my 15" around with me, I'll be perfectly fine with the slimmer retina models. The problem with the base 15" is obviously the graphics. I think it may be sufficient enough for my needs, but I don't know if I can justify the price.

So basically, I just want to hear some opinions or recommendations on what I should purchase.

TL;DR: Australian photography student having trouble deciding between 13" and base 15" rMBP.

2. accountforit macrumors 6502a

So how will the 13 graphics be any better than the 15? This fact is moot because if one is insufficient, they both are.

I would go with the 15. I am returning my 13 simply because it stutters trying to do the simplest photo editing. The quad core is needed.

3. rex450se macrumors regular

I would go with the 15" personally. The quad core would be a better option I think in your case.

Victor

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Iris Pro 5200 in the 15" is around 40% faster than the Iris 5100 in the 13", because the Iris Pro has an additional fast 128MB eDRAM of cache. The Iris 5100 in the 13" doesn't have that.

5. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

I would go with the 15". Screen real estate really helps with Design (and various creative pursuits).

Another option is a 15" Refurb, which will cost not much more than the mid-13". Don't get wrong, I love the 13" footprint but the 15" is more machine.

A 15" refurb will have the same storage and memory as the mid-13" but offer you --

More Retina Splendor
    Quad Core Processor
    Discrete Graphics

All that for only a $100 or so.

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

I have the 13" and I photoedit. It certainly does not stutter. The quadcore would help with video!

7. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

The 13" is certainly a wonderful machine but the 15" is better

8. accountforit macrumors 6502a

I have the 2.6 version, 8gb RAM, 512 SSD.

Open a good sizes photo in preview, open adjust color, watch your computer lag as you try to move a slider.

Enjoy your computer. Geekbench states this computer is as fast as my 2011 iMac yet that computer never stuttered. It's all BS.

9. Meister, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

I dont use preview. I use lightroom and photoshop with raw (nef) files from my d610.
    There is no lag whatsoever when i move slidders :confused:
    The retina does have the scrolling lag on webpages sometimes though.
    This can be fixed bu customizing the resolution with switchresx.

I just tried a .nef in preview and that stutters bad. But who edits photos in preview? I never even knew that function.
    it also seems like a software problem since it works smooth in photoshop and lightroom.

I just tried the preview thing with adjusted resolution and it still lags bad.
    I find that intriguing.
    Does anybody know why the preview color adjust stutters?
    Real programs like Lr and Ps dont do this.