Middle C in Garageband.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FlyinPig, Jun 6, 2009.

1. FlyinPig macrumors newbie

When using the built in keyboard in Garageband:
    Is middle C, C4 or C3? I'm confused.

=)

2. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

oddly enough, C3 seems to be middle C. I wonder why they did that.

3. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

C3 is middle C in Logic's piano roll view. I assume it's the same in Garageband(?)

You could always draw a C3 note in piano roll view and then switch to notation view and see if the note is between the two staffs.

Because you learn middle C is C3 if you study music as an art. ;)

Although the scientific pitch notation system uses middle C = C4, within the world of Western music middle C = C3.

To further confuse the issue, because the MIDI standard does not specify a particular octave numbering, different types of MIDI keyboards by different manufacturers may label either C4, C5, or C3 as middle C (note 60).

4. FlyinPig thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah. I'd always been taught C4 to be middle C. That's why I thought it was strange. I had to check on here just in case I was going mad. XD

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

If I remember correctly: In Calkwalk Sonar middle C = C5. In Apple's Logic and Steinberg's Cubase middle C = C3. Digidesign's ProTools lets the user select either C3, C4, or C5 as a label for middle C. On Roland and Kurzweil MIDI keyboards middle C = C4. On Yamaha MIDI keyboards middle C = C3. And so on...

It really isn't the problem it might seem to be, because MIDI note #60 = middle C. What middle C is labeled or called (C3 vs. C4 vs. C5, etc.) is largely a cosmetic issue.

6. JoelWard macrumors newbie

first post for me in the forums and this article was interesting, cheers for that as I have wondered in the past when using logic.
    p.s glad to see some people aren't as sarcastic as the first replier ;)