Middle section of screen gone!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DannyBres, Jul 31, 2010.

1. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

This evening the middle section of my screen is being funny! It goes like this when I move the hinge! and pushing the case can fix it temporily!

What has happened? Can I fix it?

[​IMG]

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Sounds like the ribbon has come loose from either the logic board or the display. You probably could fix it yourself if you are really technically able, but it would be fiddly and is probably best to just take it into the Apple store.

Do not mention that moving the hinges or pressing on the casing temporarily fixes it, they will probably try and blame the issue on you.

3. klover macrumors 6502a

That's what I'm thinking too. Isn't the cable accessible once you have the bottom off? If you don't mind dealing with ten screws, you could take a look and your warranty would stay intact. Always nice if you avoid sending to a tech table.

4. DannyBres thread starter macrumors 65816

DannyBres

it is 10 months out of warranty! :( Ok thanks guys! How much do Apple change for things like this?

5. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I'm not sure. But its expensive. Just take the bottom case off, and reseat the display cable.

Check the cable (shown in Step 9) and reseat it. It that doesn't fix it, Check the other end of the cable (shown in Step 32)
    Guide here: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-MacBook-Unibody-Model-A1278-LCD-Panel/1428/1

Maybe the cable is damaged, and when you push it, it flexes to work right.

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Do this OP, I thought iFixit would have a guide. Just be very VERY careful and you'll be fine, you'll save yourself a lot of money if it fixes it.

7. Lokrado macrumors regular

Expensive? They have a $300 flat rate in the us, i just take my stuff there

8. DannyBres thread starter macrumors 65816

DannyBres

Went to the apple store and it is still in warranty for another 446 days! :D Dropping it in to be fixed on Wednesday! :)