Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
i'm very used to firefox on my pc, where if you middle click on a link or bookmark, it will open in a new tab in the background.

i liked it, but when i started using my ibook that is new, i missed that feature. i have to right-click, and find open in new tab. i want this feature.

does anybody know how? i searched in google, and people say that this is already possible, but on my safari in Tiger it won'twork. is it a left out feature in safari RSS? :confused:

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
steelfist said:
i'm very used to firefox on my pc, where if you middle click on a link or bookmark, it will open in a new tab in the background.

i liked it, but when i started using my ibook that is new, i missed that feature. i have to right-click, and find open in new tab. i want this feature.

does anybody know how? i searched in google, and people say that this is already possible, but on my safari in Tiger it won'twork. is it a left out feature in safari RSS? :confused:

You should be able to assign it to your mouse.... I can.... (using mouse works, but I think there are ways, it's just to get your mouse to do Apple-T)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
If you only have trackpad or a one-button (or two-button, for that matter) mouse without scroller, cmd-clicking will open links in a new tab, in Safari (if tabbed browsing is enabled).

If you have a scroll-mouse the middle button will open links in new tabs in Safari, too...

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
that's weird. i use the mx 518 logitech mouse with logitech mac drivers and it won't work! and i have tabbed browsing on!

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Logitech doesn't always work properly with Mac OS X.

Ironically Microsoft mice, wired or wireless, along with almost all cheapa** no-name USB scroll wheel mice, will work very well...

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
steelfist said:
that's weird. i use the mx 518 logitech mouse with logitech mac drivers and it won't work! and i have tabbed browsing on!
Many times, the the logitech windows divers don't map the middle button to the middle button. (does that make sense?) It may be true for the mac drivers as well. Go into the drivers and make sure the middle button is set to the middle button and not something like scroll or something.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
if you can't get the middle button to be assigned as 'middle button' then just use your mouse software to assign the middle button to do a 'command-click'. You can probably assign it so it only does this in safari.

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
fixed the problem. the middle mouse button option for configuring buttons dosen't exist in the preferences. i redownloaded the logitech drivers and selected uninstal option and restarted it.

now i can enjoy the stuff my firefox on pc does! however, the default mouse drivers is kinda annoying....any suggestions? the logitech mouse driver dosen't have that slow movement REALLY slow mouse curser movement and a bit faster REALLY fast movement issue.

BTW, i know about USB overdrive, and i don't have a single penny in my bank account because i don't have ONE! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.