Midi Controller for Reason (sliders, knobs)

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by theapex, Feb 21, 2008.

1. theapex macrumors regular

Can you control the knobs and sliders withing reason using a midi controller...

basically the same way you can control logic (and other DAWs). controlling the mixer faders and turn knobs and things like that....

thanks.

2. Bobbi Flekman macrumors regular

First off, I have absolutely no experience with Reason.

Within DAWs just about any knob/slider/whatever that can be manipulated through a MIDI controller, will be documented. Check your documentation which CC number it will be and then check the controller on how to program the knob/slider/etc. of your choice.

I know it is not a direct answer, but it will help when you want to remotely manipulate some other filter of a synth to know how to find the needed data.

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Yes you can, but good luck getting it to work exactly how you want... I've never been able to get it to work %100.

4. fmason3 macrumors newbie

I first got Reason 3.0 and an m-audio oxygen 61 midi controller. You can assign sliders and knobs to different features in the software. I recently started using Reason 4.0 with my Yamaha S90ES as my controller. My midi set-up was S90ES>midi out>Roland MKS-20>midi thru>Edirol USB/Midi adapter>USB Port of my macbook pro. It will allow me to play instruments in Reason, but I was not able to assign my sliders.

So I took a regular USB (printer) cable from my S90ES to my laptop and I was able to assign my sliders to different volume buttons. So I've found that I can do more things from my controller when I use a USB cable to transport my midi signal than when I use a standard midi cable.

5. cschreppel macrumors regular

Yep. You can do this pretty easily. I've found that Reason is more easily controlled by a keyboard controller like the Oxygen 8 than something that is meant to replicate a recording console.