Midi keyboard and mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Shoot, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Shoot macrumors regular

My synth has a midi mode that lets it be used as a controller for audio applications like Reason or garageband etc via USB. Will I need some kind of external interface to avoid latency issues? I've only ever done audio stuff on my PC and that usually had a delay.
    Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Shoot

2. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

You shouldn't experience any latency when using a USB midi device, the data transfered during a midi event is minuscule compared to audio data.

3. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

What Jolly Jimmy said, and I can vouch for this from experience.

The MIDI drivers built into OS X are just as good or better than those in Windows/DirectX. I use GarageBand as an idea sketchpad, and switch to Windows via Bootcamp to polish those ideas in Cakewalk SONAR. My M-Audio MIDI controller gets good timing response in both.

Quite frankly, with today's computers MIDI latency itself is usually not the problem. Generating notes on a software synthesizer, like GarageBand's internal synth, is the main factor in latency.

4. 75LesPaul macrumors newbie

Yamaha Clavinova With Midi Question

Hi there,

I need some advice. I have an old Yamaha Clavinova keyboard with early MIDI capability. I want to use it to trigger a trumpet sound found in GarageBand. . as well as a few other brass instruments. What do I need to make the proper connection? Obviously running a guitar chord out of the side 1/4 inch jack will only allow me to get guitar sounds. Or running two RCA's out of the back of the Clavinova in stereo is limited in the same way. I guess I need to buy a MIDI interface to attach to the MIDI port in the back of the keyboard and then run it into the back of my iMac. . . what kind of conversion hardware is used to make the connection from the MIDI cable into the back of the iMac?

Thanks so much!

Kirk in the Sacramento area, California.

5. dainja macrumors member

I agree with the others but I'd like to clarify something.

Latency isn't introduced at the MIDI input stage - that's relatively instant. However, without a proper audio interface, you likely won't have access to ASIO drivers. Without ASIO drivers, latency is generally pretty bad.

6. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

For some reason, I'm thinking I have seen MIDI to USB cables. I have no clue if they would work or provide the quality that you're looking for.

Am I completely off here? I could be completely wrong, and if I am, I apologize in advance!

7. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

8. curtwilliams macrumors newbie

Sound Plays Twice

I bought a cheap USB/MIDI cable and have a problem that Garage Band plays a sounds both when strike and release a key on the piano. It should only play the sound when I strike the key, not when I release. What would cause this?

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I think you may have just answered your question. You can see if there's a driver to be installed from the company's website, but I doubt it. Most likely your best bet is to go get a better controller (your USB-MIDI cable has a controller in there just like in the bigger boxes, it's just small and integrated into the cable, but that also means it's not very good).

jW