Midi Keyboard Latency Issue

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by xxwaznxx, May 11, 2010.

1. xxwaznxx macrumors newbie

just had a side question:
    so i have an axiom 25 which is a midi keyboard
    it has a usb, and a midi out
    on windows using fl studio, i experience huge lag issues due to a very high latency because of my audio drive
    i have to switch to the asio driver that comes with fl studio, but that sucks because sound only comes from the DAW

I was wondering if the mac audio driver was any faster?
    or would it turnout that i need to purchase an audio interface with firewire to experience low latencies with my keyboard?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No, Logic Pro 9 came out last year in July, and Apple does take its time with Pro applications.

Btw, the current Studio version is 2, so the next one will be 3.

3. xxwaznxx thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry bout that :p
    my bad. yeah but i'm glad you understood what i meant.
    Well then, speculations of next update?
    logic 8 released on september 12, 2007
    logic 9 released on july 23, 2009
    guessing from this two year seperation i'd expect the next one to come out by next year maybe?

4. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

yes. It may be ;-)

5. xxwaznxx thread starter macrumors newbie

just had a side question:
    so i have an axiom 25 which is a midi keyboard
    it has a usb, and a midi out
    on windows using fl studio, i experience huge lag issues due to a very high latency because of my audio drive
    i have to switch to the asio driver that comes with fl studio, but that sucks because sound only comes from the DAW

I was wondering if the mac audio driver was any faster?
    or would it turnout that i need to purchase an audio interface with firewire to experience low latencies with my keyboard?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maybe make a dedicated thread about that issue, change your thread title*, or use MRoogle (my sig).

Btw, the USB interface is using CPU power, thus the lag, Firewire has its own chip, thus no lag.

* To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

7. mesq macrumors member

^^ Firstly I don't know why people post such things when they have no idea! The MIDI keyboard is not lagging cos of CPU how ridiculous.

The lag as the original poster already knows is caused by the latency of the high sample buffer size of the core audio driver.

Have you actually tried to change the buffer size in System preferences/Audio settings?

You should change it a minimum of 512 or 256.

Try this first and see how you go. If not then you can try and use the ASIO4ALL driver as the system driver rather than Core Audio.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I thought it was of the USB interface and CPU usage. I'm sorry if I offended you. Maybe you could have come earlier to this thread and avoided my ridiculous post.