Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NathanielDaniel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
I am so lost.
I've been googleing for days.
I recently purchased a Casio CTK-2000, with a USB port on the back of it.
I have been making Techno music for about a year now using loops and programs such as Garageband.
I have decided it was time to step up to my making my own stuff.
Therefore i decided to but the keyboard.
My only problem is i can't find any program to record music from my keyboard to my MAC.
I have a Mac iBook G4 PPC running OS X 10.3 and a 1.07 GHz Processor and 1.25 GB of memory.
I reformatted my mac and lost Garageband so it's out of the question for now.

Here is my question...

Does anyone have any good programs i could use to RECORD the sounds from my keyboard in MIDI or MP3 or WAV formant?
I have The Ableton Live Demo and I've been looking at how to use it but it's really complicated.
I just want something easier to use to get this stuff done.

Maybe a manual for Ableton would work if it tells me how to record from my Casio Keyboard.

thanks,
Nathan

TheAngusBurger

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2008
To record the sounds created by your keyboard, you can take a 1/4" lead from your output/headphones port and hook it up to your Mac, through either a USB/Firewire audio interface, or by buying a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter, and plugging it into your Mac's audio in, which whilst much cheaper, isn't the best quality.

As for free software with software instruments to play, I'm not sure, but I know Ableton does have lots of software instruments, you'll just have to mess around until you figure out how to play them. Have you tried the tutorials?

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
QuickTime Pro or Audacity would allow you to record audio from your Casio keyboard. MIDI would be, well, useless in reality as the MIDI sounds on your Mac will be different to the MIDI sounds on your Casio keyboard.

If you're interested in taking your recording a little further, you could give Garage Band a try. I wouldn't want to say whether or not it would run on your iBook well though, you may find your iBook struggles with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.