Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AviationFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I am trying to hook up a keyboard that I have owned for a while to my computer for the first time, trying to use it with GarageBand. The keyboard is a fairly simple Yamaha PSR-GX76, the computer is an Intel iMac. I have M-Audio's MIDISPORT UNO, admittedly because it's the cheaptest I could find, and my goal at this time is merely to experiment in order to find out what my long term needs are.

Anyways, here's what happens: When I hit keys on the keyboard, more often than not GarageBand plays the note I expect. But sometimes, something else happens instead: either a very low-pitched note is played (this happens most of the time), or some random note. Sometimes it feels like the velocity of the key has an impact in what note is played, sometimes not. And what happens does not depend on what key I press, i.e. the same key works fine sometimes and then produces the problem at other times.

I have installed M-Audio's latest drivers for the UNO - version 3.2.2 which claimes to be compatible with the Intel Macs. My version of GarageBand is 3.0.2. I also ran the "Audio MIDI Setup" and added a device for my keyboard, hooked it up to the MIDI interface, and played with the various options, such as TX/RX channels, MIDI Machine Control, etc., frankly without understand what they all mean, but nothing I tried seemed to make a difference. I did see in the keyboard's manual that it is "General MIDI" compliant, so I checked that box in the properties window, but without any effect.

Does this sound like a MIDI configuration problem? Are there any tools available that I could use to find out what's going on?

I appreciate your help!

- Martin

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
if you have a friend with midi gear, i'd borrow it to try to isolate the problem. i.e. try your yamaha with his gear, then try his keyboard with your gear.

the other thing i'd do is record something until the problem presents itself. have a look at the recorded midi data and see which is true:
1. the midi values represent what was played, but play back in GB incorrectly
2. the midi values are different from what was played

AviationFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Here's an update. I still don't know what caused the problem with GarageBand, but the keyboard works flawlessly in Logic Express, which I bought last week realizing that sooner rather than later I'd feel "hungry" for something a little more powerful than GarageBand.

zimv20, as far as your second suggestion goes, the recorded values in GarageBand are different from what was played. Not sure that it matters to me anymore, but my conclusion is that my keyboard sends out MIDI data that for some reason confuses GarageBand, yet is interpreted correctly by Logic Express. Not knowing MIDI in any detail, I don't want to guess what specific data causes the confusion, but understanding how computer interfaces work in general, I can very well see how something like this would happen.

- Martin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.