MIDI Sound in Logic

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Stormbringer, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Stormbringer macrumors regular

I know there is several information about this on the internet, but I really just can't get a sound out of my MIDI files in Logic! I've read the manual, and I understand you need to use a Sound Module for this, but they don't tell you how.

I'm using a Line6 TonePort UX2 for recording (mostly guitar). All audio works perfectly, and "real" recording work fine too in Logic.

I've composed a song with GuitarPro, and exported it as MIDI. My plan was to give it in Logic a Sound Module in order to get "beter" sound than standard MIDI. The exported MIDI file plays just fine (with iTunes for instance), but in Logic it doesn't work. Also, I have installed EZdrummer for making drum tracks, but I can't find it neither. I think it's the same problem as the MIDI...

Could someone please say me what to do? :(

I'm using: Line6 TonePort UX2 as sound card, MacBook Pro, Leopard, and Logic Express 7. I've uploaded a screenshot of Logic:

[​IMG]

Thanks a lot in advance! :)

2. fernmeister macrumors regular

OK. From the screenshot, it looks like you have 5 MIDI parts. Yes?

1. Drag them up so that they are on five of the Blue Instrument tracks (e.g., Inst 1, Inst 2, etc).

2. Click and highlight the first one, which if you dragged them in order would be your Gtr 1 part, now on Inst 1.

3. In the bottom left corner you will see a button for Input, under I/O. Click that and follow the menu till you find EXS24. Open that, then look for a guitar sound.

4. Do the same for the other instruments, with appropriate sounds.

5. EXS24 is the Logic sample player and a good place to start with MIDI sounds from Logic.

Hope that helps.

3. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

Which version of LE7 are you using?

I tried to put my LE7.1 on my MBP, because I still had the disc from my old PowerBook, but because it is not Universal, it did not work. It would open up, but I could not record or play anything back.

You have to have LE7.2 to use it on an Intel Mac. Since they not longer sell 7.2 I had to buy the LE8 upgrade (got mine on eBay for $75)

4. Stormbringer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys!

I guess I have to upgrade then (I've got version 7.0), because the inputs Fernmeister talks about don't work:

[​IMG]

5. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

If you're planning on paying, the upgrade is well worth it- LE8 has a vastly improved interface, and much more in terms of Logic Studio equivalency. It's well worth the price.

6. Stormbringer thread starter macrumors regular

I have now the new version, and you were all right! The problem is solved, and everything works better than ever! :cool:

Thanks! :)