MIDI to PC not working!?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by MxMCube, Mar 10, 2014.

1. MxMCube macrumors newbie

So, I have a keyboard, and on the end it has a MIDI-OUT. I bought a cable that go's from MIDI to USB. I plugged in the USB, and on the other end I had 2 midi cables. 1 Input and the other Output. So I have tried to plug in the input in the output, or the output in the output, and pressed the MIDI button on my keyboard, until it said OUT, and tried to play on my keyboard, but Logic Pro X/Garageband did not do anything. The programs did however say "1 midi input detected." Could it be because my keyboard only take's one cable? If so, why would it only have output and not input?

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

When you connect MIDIS the input of one goes to the output of the outer.

Your keyboard has only "output" because there is all it needs to send data "out". You would connect that to the "input" of your MIDI interface. The name is relate to the device.

Next potential problem. There are 16 MIDI "channels" the computer software needs to litem to the channel the keyboard is sending on. B default pianos send on channel #1 and the best thing is to tell your software to listen to "ALL Channels". But if the keyboard is sending on #2 and the computer is listening on #1 nothing happens. They have to match.