Midnight 3g data usage??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eoren1, Dec 14, 2010.

1. eoren1 macrumors 6502

My wife and I have iPhone 4's
    I am on an unlimited plan; she's on the 200Mb cap
    She always stayed under but, this month, the ATT app is saying she has already crossed 100Mb in less than a week.
    Called ATT and Apple without any guidance
    Just logged into my account on ATT and it is showing massive data use at midnight - 15-30 megs. The phone should be on wifi as it is in the house and we are asleep then.
    Anyone have ideas about this?
    Thanks!
    E

Here's the log:
    12/12 12:03 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 27074KB
    12/11 12:28 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 15350KB
    12/10 09:30 PM xxx-xxx-xxxx Text/IM Messaging Received 1Msg
    12/10 12:28 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 16437KB
    12/09 12:27 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 18273KB
    12/08 12:51 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 16727KB
    12/07 12:15 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 19954KB
    12/06 12:39 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 13667KB

2. swy05 macrumors 6502

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it sounds like she's sending data to some other man. :(

3. AML225 macrumors regular

I remember a thread very similar to this (I think it was even the poster's wife having the same problem). I can't seem to find it at the moment but if you don't get replies keep searching this forum. Unfortunately I can't remember the solution. Good luck.

4. eoren1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link - that may answer why ATT shows the data at midnight. What's curious is that my iphone data usage is reported throughout the day...

Also, I can't figure out where all this data usage is coming from. She basically uses email, facebook. No pandora/youtube. These data counts are much higher (double) mine and I regularly do things like stream music on the way to work.

I killed all background processes and installed Dataman Lite last night. Since then, the data seems to have decreased. I wonder if there is a an app that could be doing this in the background...

5. magicpinkdrink macrumors member

magicpinkdrink

I had this happen to me last month. When I got my iPhone I was on the 2GB plan and used it as much as I could to test how much I needed. I barely used 150MB both months so my husband dropped me to the 200Mb plan to save money. The 3rd month I was shocked when I looked and had used 150MB and was only a week into the billing cycle. Looked at the summary and noticed I was using HUGE amounts between 11p.m. and 1 a.m. This is a time period where I am not only asleep but also connected to wifi. Called AT&T and after an hour on the phone with someone who couldn't speak English and couldn't find a manager to transfer me to, I was told that I must be streaming music, checking the stockmarket, and 50 other excuses. I finally hung up, suspecting they were trying to charged for data used over the wifi. This month I turn off my cellular data the minute I get home so it is forced to use wifi and I am at only 100MB used with only 4 more days in my billing cycle. Long story short either AT&T was billing me for something they shouldn't have been, or my phone was being screwy. Given it has only happened 1 month out of 4 I personally blame at&t!

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's not that hard to use up 100-150mb in a day with the iPhone. And I heard that's when AT&T accumulates all your daily usage and posts it on your account at night. It doesn't mean u used it all at that time.

7. eoren1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I killed all background apps
    Turned off push for email and changed some push notifications
    installed Dataman
    Overnight, used 5 megs of cellular data while phone was in an active wifi connection...

Gonna call Apple next as the phone is clearly using 3G data incorrectly