Midwest USA: Coldest air so far, and winter's just starting

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wrldwzrd89, Dec 22, 2008.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm simply amazed that the first day of winter was yesterday, and I've already had a day where the low dipped below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't know what my exact low was but I know that the temperature was fractionally below zero at 8:30 PM ET yesterday, in Solon, OH.

Also, my were the winds ever whipping. The weather last night was almost inhospitable. Sustained winds at 25-35 MPH, gusting over 50 MPH at times. Wind chills were around -20, which prompted a wind chill warning to be issued.

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

It's not quite that cold here but it is pretty cold for us at 13 degrees F this early in the season. The winds have been killer here as well. This is one heck of a cold front moving in.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I didn't leave the house yesterday. It was just not a good idea.

4. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Here in columbus, I built a huge bonfire in the backyard and threw a solstice party. We had mulled cider and mulled wine...mmm! Great times!

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Checking in from St. Louis to say that it's frickin' freezing outside. So cold that my weather widget is frozen and won't even tell me how cold it is.

6. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I'm sitting in Tremonton, UT right now, I-84 is closed at the Idaho state line. I hope it opens by 10 or 11 tomorrow morning. I just drove across Wyoming, I had to fight ice, snow and wind for about 200 miles.

I've already seen the temps dip at low as -17ºF.

Last week I had to put the chains on my big truck 5 times in 24 hours on my way from Moffet Airfeild to Denver. My back is still sore.

This winter is gonna make last winter look like a sunny day.

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

I'm leaving for Cologne on Thursday. This is the first time in years that I've looked forward to the weather across the pond.

8. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Last Tuesday I awoke (and somehow managed to start my car) in balmy 28 below temperatures. Two days before that, it was only -12, but the windchill was something like -48. I don't live in siberia, but I might as well.

9. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

It was -26ºF with the windchill here in Chicago on Saturday.:eek:

10. JohnnySin macrumors newbie

yeah I am in Wisconsin and we dont normally get this kind of weather until at least January or February. But weird weather is all over the country like Las Vegas and seattle getting record levels of snow