Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I guess you are right about that,

I'm just not into the whole jailbreaking cat and mouse game. I like to use new features and fixes as apple release them and not have to wait till the JB community has a new version of the JB for the new firmware of the iphone or ipad.

Its just me

do you have a mac?

mpuck972

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
Anyone who thinks that AT&T's service covers more areas then Verizon's must be living under a rock.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I have a iphone 3gs, but don't feel like jailbreaking, plus I need my battery life on my phone, so sucking it up with the 3g router isn't really an option, thus why I bought the ipad 3g (here in orlando, it works pretty good) thus why I will use the 3g service of it 90% of the time, but when I have to travel north (North Florida), past Gainesville, ATT is really a hit and miss, but verizon works great (thus the reason for the mifi)

Its attached to the mifi via a STRONG velcro (actually interlocking type of velcro)

ah ok.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
is that why in my school and house att gets 5 bars a Verizon 0?

Look, coverage is relative... I get GREAT T-mobile coverage at home and at work... My friend in california gets 0-1 bar at his house in San Diego.

I also get 5 bars with AT&T but my friend in Virginia swears that he would never uses AT&T ever again.

Another friend in Virginia gets 5 bars with Sprint but I get 2 bars at home and max of 3 bars at work.

What's great for you doesn't mean it's great for others and vice versa.
However, looking at the big picture, Verizon does cover more areas in the United States under 3G compared to AT&T... that's just the hard truth and even if it's "desert and mountains" (your words not mine) it's still landmass of United States and there are some people who chose to live in rural areas.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Look, coverage is relative... I get GREAT T-mobile coverage at home and at work... My friend in california gets 0-1 bar at his house in San Diego.

I also get 5 bars with AT&T but my friend in Virginia swears that he would never uses AT&T ever again.

Another friend in Virginia gets 5 bars with Sprint but I get 2 bars at home and max of 3 bars at work.

What's great for you doesn't mean it's great for others and vice versa.
However, looking at the big picture, Verizon does cover more areas in the United States under 3G compared to AT&T... that's just the hard truth and even if it's "desert and mountains" (your words not mine) it's still landmass of United States and there are some people who chose to live in rural areas.

yes i know i just feel like unless you are that small% why bother with it?

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
What he said. Spending $1100 a year just to have coverage when you are not around wifi is plain retarded.
Yea if you work a double shift making fries otherwise what freaking business is it of you retarded posters??:cool:

cis4life

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
@ goobot: Yes I do have a mac (MBP late 09)

@mizzoucat: Maybe its retarded to you, but it works for me. Like I said, when I have my AT&T 3G connection up and running, I love it and don't mind paying for it. But my profession, I have to be able to connect at all times, and verizon allows me to do so in more places where AT&T is weak or just don't exist.

The point of the iPad is so that I don't have to carry my MBP with me, and thus can leave it home connected to my monitor and I can use it for what it was intended for (a development machine) The ipad is allowing me to lighten my weight and do about 90% of the things I was doing on my MPB in a much tighter, lighter package. To me this isn't retarded, its great for me and works smoothly.

mizzoucat

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2005
Yea if you work a double shift making fries otherwise what freaking business is it of you retarded posters??:cool:

Why does spending money unnecessarily have anything to do with how much money one makes? The point is he could just use the MyFi for $60 per month and have coverage "everywhere" versus spending $90 per month for MyFi plus the AT&T data plan.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
Why does spending money unnecessarily have anything to do with how much money one makes? The point is he could just use the MyFi for $60 per month and have coverage "everywhere" versus spending $90 per month for MyFi plus the AT&T data plan.

Exactly. Waste is waste regardless of how much money you have rolling in.

Unless someone here can name a place AT&T offers 3G coverage that verizon doesn't?

iserian

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Palo Alto Apple Store
Exactly. Waste is waste regardless of how much money you have rolling in.

Unless someone here can name a place AT&T offers 3G coverage that verizon doesn't?

Yes maybe a bit odd in terms of having to wait an extra month for the 3G and then getting the mifi to boot. I went with wifi's knowing I would use my mifi's.

Only advantages I can see of having 3G is not having to carry around the mifi - but in the op's case if he must have coverage 24/7 he will be forced to carry the mifi.

RoarinRow

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Just got my MiFi 2372 today from a seller on eBay. The unit is unlocked. I just popped my AT&T iPhone SIM card, configured the security settings and I was connected in minutes.

The trick was to use wap.cingular for the APN and leave everything else blank.

My speed test was about 1.5 Mbps download and about 1.2 Mbps upload. I connected my iPad, 2 iPhones, my MBP, and HP laptop connected no problem. My HP laptop is my work laptop and I can VPN just fine.

As far as cases I am still waiting for my Exo case from Waterfield. I already have the small horizontal bag that attaches to the strap of the Exo sleeve.

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Just got my 3 Mifi in the uk and damn it's fast!!

Getting 1.4 up and down!

£5 for 1Gb is an awesome deal too!

RoarinRow

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
Elk Grove, CA

I just spoke with Jay over at Novatel and their current stance is that the subscriber should go back to their carrier for an exchange (for US customers). However, they are currently working with a distributor that can handle the exchange process for the US customers. They should have something in place this Summer.

For Bell and Rogers Canadian customers, then already have a system in place where they will send you a pre-paid envelope to send back just the battery and battery case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.