Mifi plus iPod Touch (Almost) equals iPhone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by puffnstuff, Aug 5, 2009.

1. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

2. James McAulay macrumors newbie

This is an awesome concept, and I'll definitely be getting one for Christmas this year. I can't believe nobody's thought of it until now.

3. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I would totally love to get one of these if you could buy pre-paid access for it that wouldn't expire. Let me buy a chunk for $25 at a time and go from there...

4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

wow comes with a £209 price tag in the UK I think I will wait lol

5. James McAulay macrumors newbie

Seriously? Where did you see that? I know it's coming out on 3 Mobile, on their mobile broadband packages, which start at £10/month.

6. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

It's $269 for a no contract plan with Verizon, then 5gb is $59.99 a month, or $39.99 for 250mb.

Joy. (not)

The 2 year contract makes it $99 for the device.

I really would like to see something like this go on the "pay as you go" model. Then the user is in control - use up the 5gb in a week, buy another card, use it in 6 months, buy another card.

Sigh......

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

well it's for sale here: http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=183117

8. James McAulay macrumors newbie

Wow, that is expensive. Don't you need a contract or a network to connect to? Or can you just buy it and get unlimited WiFi?

9. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

...a lil high in price for me as well for just 'on-the-go' internet. And, of course, I would only opt for the 5GB plan! I would also like to hear some reviews about the connection speed - if it really gets close to 5GB anywhere 'on-the-go' like they state :confused:

10. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

your probably just buying the device at that price and a sim card is needed as an extra purchase

11. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I'd be all over it if there wasn't a 5GB cap. But you can really eat that up quick with video and Skype.

12. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Dude its not gigabits/second thats the downloading cap! That means if your on youtube too much you could easily go over the 5gb download cap (Yes everytime you look at a video or go to a site your downloading the information....). The speeds for the wifi are about the same for any router so (802.11G so 54megabits/second but realistically like 20) and then over the cellular network which makes it even slower speeds like 1-3megabits/second over there 850Mhz/1900mhz connection (or 900/1800 if your in Europe whatever). I talked to the guy at verizon and he said in my area at least that the device cost $450 with no plan....Uhm..no...I just wish I could tether my iPod touch to my Verizon phone via bluetooth.

13. cis4life macrumors regular

I have one of these (mifi's) and I LOVE IT.

I use it daily with my ipod touch and my touch pro 2. I purchased it with the 5gb limit, but I always stay within it with no issues.

(im not a big video watcher or skyper) but I do slingbox my touch sometimes, but i ususally use it for server login, web, email and just mobility on the go. I place it in my pocket in the morning, turn it on real quick when i need access and its just a blessing to have.

14. mobilephoto macrumors newbie

Sprint MiFi

Sprint has the MiFi too. Works as good if not better than laptop cards plus you can let up to 5 friends use it. Their plan is $59/mo and 5GB cap too. Look for 4G versions coming if you're in one of their 4G markets rolling out now.

MPV

15. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

WHY oh WHY can't Verizon decide to compete with Virgin in this area?

http://web.virginmobileusa.com/broadbandPlans

The $20/30 day plan i'd spring for. It's cheaper than adding data back to my phone.... and the ability to go even cheaper if you need to is great (the data amount for the $10 would probably be all i'd need - but i'd want it for 30 days).

But alas.... the Virgin dongle won't work on the Touch, and Verizon keeps charging $60 a month, and i'm not carting the laptop everywhere either.

Oh well, i guess i just need to be patient right?

16. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

250 mb is not a lot. If you aren't careful you can burn through that awfully fast, and then you're into regular broadband card prices, with significantly less internet to show for it.

Though if you're on wifi most of the time and only need the 'net a few days out of the month it's not a bad deal.

17. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

It would be just for the occasional use and not a lot of heavy stuff at all. You know, like sitting in a waiting room and you get an email you really need to respond too.... or other stuff.

Or the power goes out in the middle of a nasty thunderstorm and you need to see what is coming next because your child is afraid of them ever since that Tornado wiped out all your neighbors..... (real story from last week btw)......

But this type of product isn't practical for me anyway - i'd much prefer the MiFi so i could use it with anything. Although $10 wouldn't be bad to just have laying around in case of the weather issue (it IS Florida after all).

And I never came close to using 1gb of Data on my phone when i had it (with a Treo). I'm not a heavy user at all, so a limited affordable thing would work well. Just less than the $30 Verizon wants.....