Mifi review...Pros or Cons???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by crackbookpro, Jul 23, 2009.

1. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

2. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

Well this was a comment on the engadget post (hope you're not in LA):
    Also, you may want to look into Clearwire, they are slowly rolling out there WiMax/4G. It recently became available in las vegas, where i reside, And for the price i think it's a much better alternative, although it would need an actual computer to do the 'routing' for it.

3. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

I was on the fence about one of these as well... I have a Verizon data account one a 3GB USB wireless modem.

The only reason to get the MiFi, was if I was in a situation where I needed to share the connection over more than one PC. If that's the case, then you should go for the MiFi.

In my case, I wouldn't see many cases where this scenario would take place, so I ended up saving myself the $200 something to get it.

From the research I did, it's pretty awesome though, and it will last you around 4 hours with on/off use. plugged in via USB, you cannot share the connection, but it charges the unit. That's all I know...

4. crackbookpro thread starter macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

I wish I could get that, I think for now it's just Vegas...I could be wrong. Will see how fast it grows in coverage :rolleyes:

I am guessing the LA individual had the $40/month plan for the MiFi - The speed is pathetic(250MB:eek:).

...the $60/month is the one I was looking at(even though the price is kind of high), I just want to know if it is as fast as they say on the go n' what not ;) ..and if the battery life is sufficient.

so who's go it??? ...anyone use it on a train?

5. crackbookpro thread starter macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

I think you can share the connection up to 5... :confused:

6. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

I think he is saying that if you have it plugged into your laptop it will charge the device, but then it doesn't share the connection anymore, just straight into the machine it plugged into.

clear has been around, I think they started in baltimore. check out www.clear.com they should have a coverage map.

another option could be a windows mobile based cellular. ii have one. I use a program called Wm WiFi Router and it takes my phones cellular connection and broadcasts it through my phones wifi. and it works flawlessly. eou