Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abta1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Paris, France
I'm visiting the USA later this month and I would like to use both my iPhone and iPad with a mifi to access the web.

Is there a provider of a prepay mifi device? I'll be mainly in TN and CA.

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
Virgin Mobile has

Unlimited for $40 a month
100mb for $10 for 10 days

You will need to purchase the mifi unit as well which is $150 now. You can get one at Best Buy and get top up cards there too, so it won't matter if you have a US credit card or not. Or you can get one at a Sprint corporate store.

Coverage for me so far has been great. They use the Sprint network.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband/

osxnewbe

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
There are some companies that will rent you a mifi. I know a couple who rented one for a trip to Washington DC, the company shipped the it to the hotel so it was waiting for them when they checked in and just had FedEx pick it up to ship back when they were done.

Just google "mifi rental"....

Alpha4

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
I'm visiting the USA later this month and I would like to use both my iPhone and iPad with a mifi to access the web.

Is there a provider of a prepay mifi device? I'll be mainly in TN and CA.

Just come back from GA with iPad and mifi. My advice is don't get a mifi unit from 3 UK. At least, if you do, unlock it and put another operator's sim card in it.

I don't know if 3 UK have any roaming partners in the USA, but I couldn't get a valid network signal on my unit. Luckily I could get wifi almost everywhere I went.

I've unlocked my 3UK mifi and put a Voda sim in it (I know this works as it has worked perfectly in the USA previously in my laptop).

YMMV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.