Might be a stupid question...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mfaye21, Oct 11, 2009.

1. mfaye21 macrumors regular

Hi,
    I am about to buy a refurb macbook pro 2gb ram and 160gb hard drive. I think I might need a bigger hard drive but i dont want to spend the money at this time. If I find (once I get to know my first mac) that I need a bigger hard drive I dont have a problem buying one and installing it. My question is once I install the new hard drive will my mac remember anything or is it all stored on the hard drive?
    Thanks for the help!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's all stored on the hard drive. If you replace it, the new drive has nothing on it until you put something on it. You'll need to copy the data from your existing drive to the new one.

3. katyoshi macrumors 6502

Since there isn't a academic special with the free ipod touch, just get it. Then buy like a 1tb external HD for notebooks such as in western digital my book or seagate freeagent HD. They're small but can pack a lot. I would get one of those and maybe another one thats at least 500gb just for like another backup. If you have mobileme, upload your office for mac or iwork docs there in idisk or the external HD.

This is if you're willing to carry around a peripheral with you which i wouldn't see as a hassle as these external notebook HD's are small as it is.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you even take the time to read the OP's question? What does an academic special or an iPod touch have to do with the OP's question? Your response is completely irrelevant.

5. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

What is your real need? If you need to be carrying a lot of data or programs around with you all of the time, then you may need a bigger internal HD. If all you need is just more storage, then just get an external HD and plug it into your USB port. You can find a new external HD that is both good and reasonably priced.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Some people in this thread need to learn to read the question before trying to answer

7. MasterDev macrumors 65816

Then again the thread title did have the word stupid in it, so it kind of attracted them. :D

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

... like moths to a flame? (no pun intended!) :D

9. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I'm sure this is just an automated response as 95% of the threads on here can be answered with that very statement. ;)

10. HBOC macrumors 68020

They also aren't doing the free printer with a Mac deal yet:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Also, MAYBE the OP doesn't want to add an external HD to the list of peripherals that he already carries, i.e.; mouse, powercord, etc..
    The question was about swapping the INTERNAL drive, not buying an external.

OP, check out ifixit.com before buying anything to get an idea of how hard /easy installation will be. As far as transferring the info over, I am unsure, as you would have to have BOTH drives hooked up, i suppose. You could throw the drive in an enclosure, and that way you could put to use the drive, as well as get the info off of it..

11. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

It wont "remember" anything you stored on the old HD.
    Your best bet would to have an external to transfer all your files to it then transfer them to your new HD.