Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Is $500 a good deal for the God of Displays? It was manufactured in 2010 and seems to be pristine. Seems a bit daft to use it with a 2001 Mac, but who ever bought one of these beautiful beasts for practicality?

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
One of my computer science lecturers in my university recently upgraded from a G5 right up to the new small black Mac Pro. He still uses two wall mounted 30" Apple Cinema Displays. The lucky b*****d!

He used a Quicksilver from 2002-2004. Then a G5 from 2004-2014. He had been keeping his Quicksilver under his desk for all that time until I saved from the dumpster last year :cool:.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Kind of two minded on this. I've never really been a fan of the aluminum displays. I thought they were cool until we actually got one (20") with the G5 at work and I started using it. They are nice displays of course, but I just don't care for the design.

I didn't care for the acrylic designs either – up until I started using the aluminum display, which made me appreciate the acrylic ones.

So…if I liked the aluminum displays I'd say $500 is a decent price for the immense screen real estate of those displays, but I don't like them so I'd not be inclined to pay that even though I have at least two video cards that could drive one.

That said, if you like them this is a monster of a display and would be very nice to have.

archtopshop

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
Kind of two minded on this. I've never really been a fan of the aluminum displays. I thought they were cool until we actually got one (20") with the G5 at work and I started using it. They are nice displays of course, but I just don't care for the design.

I didn't care for the acrylic designs either – up until I started using the aluminum display, which made me appreciate the acrylic ones.

So…if I liked the aluminum displays I'd say $500 is a decent price for the immense screen real estate of those displays, but I don't like them so I'd not be inclined to pay that even though I have at least two video cards that could drive one.

That said, if you like them this is a monster of a display and would be very nice to have.

From your experience, other than the different case design, do they produce images of the same quality?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
From your experience, other than the different case design, do they produce images of the same quality?
I would have to say that the later aluminum models probably have better clarity (sharpness) and fidelity (color accuracy). The early aluminum displays (of which the one at work is still functioning as a primary display) seemed to be of the same quality as the acrylic displays.

However, the acrylic displays while not being as sharp (which is not to say they are in any way fuzzy or blurry, they aren't) seem to be richer in color (the color depth is deeper).

archtopshop

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
I would have to say that the later aluminum models probably have better clarity (sharpness) and fidelity (color accuracy). The early aluminum displays (of which the one at work is still functioning as a primary display) seemed to be of the same quality as the acrylic displays.

However, the acrylic displays while not being as sharp (which is not to say they are in any way fuzzy or blurry, they aren't) seem to be richer in color (the color depth is deeper).

I've been looking for one of these to upgrade my wife's setup. Thanks for the good information. Based on your comments, I'm sure either model will be just fine.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've been looking for one of these to upgrade my wife's setup. Thanks for the good information. Based on your comments, I'm sure either model will be just fine.
Yes, either model will do well. It's kind of the difference between good, better and best.

All are good, but some are better and some are the best you can get. But just having good is often exceptional when it comes to comparing Apple against other makers.

Your average bargain basement 2014-15 third party monitor is going to be better than the acrylic displays. The technology has advanced. But against older models or the displays that were current in that era the acrylic displays are orders of magnitude better.

The same holds for the early aluminum displays and the later ones hold their own well against today's displays.

It goes back to Apple quality and getting what you pay for. For what Apple charged when the acrylic displays were first made the price was worth it then. They still have great quality today. In fact the ones I have here at home are better than the 2010 Samsung junk I have hooked up to the Mac Pro at work even though the Samsungs have higher resolution than my displays.

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
So--

I decided to purchase the monitor and boy, is it gorgeous.

I haven't yet received my new video card (which will support the native resolution of this monitor) but so far, I'm in love. As soon as I get the setup complete, I'll share pictures :).

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I just hope that the FireGL works for you in your DA...mine didn't, although I realize there is one seller on Ebay now who shows it working in it.

If not, the 9600 Pro can drive one 30" Cinema, although these are also hit or miss in the DA/QS. I have one that will sometimes work and sometimes not-I ended up taking it out and replacing with the 9600XT since I know it will always work(although I don't think it has a dual link port and thus can't run the 30" Cinema).

In any case, congratulations on buying the king of Apple displays :) . The 23" Acrylic Cinema display I'm viewing this message on bows its head in shame.

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
I just hope that the FireGL works for you in your DA...mine didn't, although I realize there is one seller on Ebay now who shows it working in it.

If not, the 9600 Pro can drive one 30" Cinema, although these are also hit or miss in the DA/QS. I have one that will sometimes work and sometimes not-I ended up taking it out and replacing with the 9600XT since I know it will always work(although I don't think it has a dual link port and thus can't run the 30" Cinema).

In any case, congratulations on buying the king of Apple displays :) . The 23" Acrylic Cinema display I'm viewing this message on bows its head in shame.

I'm pretty sure this makes me a contender in the Macrumors arms race of "how much money can I blow on my aging PowerMac?" :)

In any event, this monitor will probably outlive all of the Macs I currently own, so I look at it as an investment.

I have heard as much about the Pro--that would be a back up if for some reason the FireGL doesn't work. What about a plain X800 XT? Would one of those play nice with my Mac?

I'm crossing my fingers--the seller I bought it from says it has been tested in a DA so I suppose I can just return it if it doesn't work in mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.