might be driving to milwaukee

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cantthinkofone, Oct 23, 2008.

1. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Might be this weekend. Driving from missouri. How bad of a drive am i in for? Last time i drove thru illinois was hard enough going thru the middle from indiana. Now i'm driving right up thru it.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

You will be fine traffic wise until you get close to Chicago, then depending on whether you are hitting rush hour or not, you will be kinda stuck for a while.

What is your starting city so we can map it?

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Fun... What is that? about 13-15 hour drive?

yikes! I knew it took about 7 from Kirksville,Mo to Chicago.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Where are you starting from in Missouri. It might make a difference on where you end up in Illinois

5. cantthinkofone thread starter macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

He better be paying you for gas, that is a long drive. Are you leaving Sunday Am or PM?

I recommend doing this route:
    link

That should have less traffic on it.

7. cantthinkofone thread starter macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

He is. Yea i like that route better. I'm a cardinals fan so i don't want to get mugged by getting to close to chicago :p

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Rolla, eh? I've probably driven Rolla-St. Louis 150 times or so. Shouldn't have any problems on that leg on a Sunday. 44 through St. Louis usually doesn't get bad unless there's an accident or something. Can't help you with Illinois though.

9. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

And gas is cheaper in WI, so fill up around exit 185. Tons of stations, a few restaurants, would be a good place to take a break. There is some construction on 90 up north, but you won't be in it for long as I recall, it is mostly to Rockford, and not much before you get to the WI border.

10. adk macrumors 68000

adk

You don't need to go through Chicago to get from St. Louis to Milwaukee. The traffic is a nightmare. I've driven that route about 15 times and I always take ishater's route. My only advice is to avoid Chicago like the plague.

11. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Wow, you have a Boring drive ahead of you. I was in St. Louis last weekend for The Jackson Browne concert and the drive through Indiana was Dreadful

12. cantthinkofone thread starter macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Yea. I drove from Cleveland back home one time. Indiana wasn't so bad. people weren't very friendly at gas stations i noticed. And the 65 mph speed limit was kinda strange. Didn't know why i was passing people so fast until i noticed a speed limit sign half way thru the state:p Illinois was the worst.

13. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Wow, we are all in agreement, good thing he asked about the route! :D

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, I've driven through Indiana and it's the most boring thing I've done. Ditto for Ohio. Once I got to Pennsylvania, it wasn't as bad because the scenery along I-80 is very beautiful

15. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I used to do a weekly trip from Chicago to Akron after college. OMG, I hated driving through Indiana, and I got terrified of the Ohio State Patrol! :eek:

Only part I enjoyed speeding (or more like scared of them crazies) was IL, 294 and such all the way to the Indiana border.

Too many trucks right at the border, and they do not slow down ... ever!

16. cantthinkofone thread starter macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Boy what a day.

We got on the road around 9am and had good luck until 50 miles inside IL. Had a blow out on one of the trailer tires. Well, it was gone by the time i noticed it and stopped.

Luckily we were about a mile from a small tire shop. Guy didn't have a tire that would fit the axle, and all the wheels he had were the wrong bolt patern. So we drove about 20 minutes to the next town to get a tire from wally world.

Got back and he mounted the tire and we were on our way. At this point we were 3 hours behind schedule.

Once we started getting more and more north the wind started to pick up. I was getting half the gas milage and was being blown all over the road. The wind was so strong that the doors on the other side of the car the wind was blowing were loosing their seal and you could hear the wind coming thru.

We finally met up with the guy just south of rockford. Around mile marker 99.

Loaded up the 4wheeler, he gave me the rest of the money he owed me and we headed our seperate ways. When we left it started to snow a little:eek: That was around 8pm.

Didn't get home until about 2:30 am.

What a day. Also, i don't see many illinois drivers here in Missouri, but the ones i do see drive like idiots. And i further proved it when i got into illinois. When i tried getting back on the highway after the flat tire was discovered i came within about 5 inches of getting side swiped. a$$ hole didn't get over even though i had signaled to get back on and was doing about 40 mph.

They tailgate like crazy, don't signal, and when they pass you they get back in your lane about 5 feet in front of you.

What is their deal?