Might be going Intel?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Orizence, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Orizence macrumors 6502

After another dead third party charger, and a dying hard drive, I think it might be almost time to retire my powerbook. Also here in Canada it's much too expensive to pay upwards of $70 for an oem charger. Should I save up a few hundred dollars and just get a 2006/2007 Macbook pro? I need a new laptop in a few weeks so I'm not sure if it's worth reviving my already ageing powerbook

2. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I personally would shoot for a 2007 MBP. That way you can run El Capitan and being a semi-modern Mac from such an old machine.

But as I look at things and the cost to repair it, I think is it just worth it I tend to go with a newer machine if the funds allow!

But no PPC hate, I've been trying to work on getting this G5 Quad and will find out tomorrow if it'll be mine.

3. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Try and stay away from Core Duos.
    ---

You will be missed *trumpet plays*

4. Orizence thread starter macrumors 6502

WOAH, WOAH, WOAH! I AM NOT LEAVING! I can see my G5 staying for at least another year or two, it runs 24/7 slaving away encoding audio and video and does everything I could need from a desktop. With its dual graphics cards (although one isn't in right now), sad, and 6 gb of ram it's plenty enough for me.

I just need a laptop that I can lug around with me to surf the net while I'm at the coffee shop, or use at school to write an assignment or two. This powerbook is amazing, but it's just starting to eat a bit too much money than what I can justify right now.

5. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

JUDAS!!!!!

Seriously, though, snag up a relatively recent Pro (they run fairly cheap on Macofalltrades), and you can run El Cap. Even though you might not have Metal, it's still a good enough upgrade to do.

6. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Oh :p

$70 OEM charger? You haven't checked eBay I assume, there way cheaper on there's. As for the dying HDD, you could just buy a IDE drive for cheap. PowerBook disassemblys aren't that bad. Both of these things will probably add up to under 70.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PowerBook+G4+Aluminum+15-Inch+1-1.5+GHz+Hard+Drive+Replacement/227

Lucky it's not an iBook, those are a process to upgrade.

7. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

I wouldn't worry about buying an OEM charger, from my experience, the third party ones are just as good quaility. The key is finding a durable one off eBay. As for the HDD dying, now would be a perfect time for an mSATA SSD. They are cheaper than spindle drives, and you get way better performance.