Might buy a 30" Cinema Display, input needed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JeffiJers, Nov 25, 2013.

1. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

Hello everyone, I am looking for an external display to complement my Early 2013 15R MBP.

A co-worker of mine has a mint condition "lightly" used Apple 30" display. Bought 3 years ago. I have seen the display and cosmetically it looks perfect.

She only wants 400$ for it.

Good deal? Things to look out for? I believe there is two models correct, how can I tell if this was the last one made? If the bulb in the LCD were to die can I replace it myself?

I was considering the current TB display but with just USB2.0 I figured why not have essentially the same thing and just go bigger with the older 30".

Thanks!

2. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Look priced OK, however... It won't work well in multi-monitor setups. Easier to find another 27 to pair with, than another 30. The 27" also seems to be just about right for the resolution, coma red to the 30. I haven't spent a lot of time with a 30, but it might seem just a bit fuzzier. It's also gout older I/O than not of today's displays (no TB, USB 2.x, etc). I'm not sure how ergonomic a 30" would be, but 27 seems about the most I'd want to deal with, especially since I work with several of them at a time.

There are plenty of 27" displays with the same resolution, and newer I/O, that could be had for the same price. I recently bought a couple 27" Dells form the outlet, at about that same price, and love them. They'd be new and have warranties.

Just a few thoughts...

3. JeffiJers thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your input. Price is just ok? should I pass? This would be my only display. Have no plans to run two of them.

I have yet to see a current 27 sell for 400, otherwise I would have it. You have seen them for that?

Could also pick up the Dell 27" 1440P for roughly 500 new and have a warranty.

This will be used in a den/home office room. Figure the 30" could double as a TV when i kick it on the cough behind me (Xfinifty Go is great).

4. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Google "Dell Outlet Coupons"... I bought a couple when they were running ~30-40% off the refurb process. Got one for about $350 and the other for ~$400. You may have to be a bit patient, as the steep monitor discounts seem to hit every two or so weeks. I bet they'll be something good, for Black Friday. The Model I bought was the U2713HM (27" 2560x1600), and it's a winner. Drawback is that it doesn't have speakers, charger cable, or TB. Plus side is that it has USB 3.x ports, and a display that's every bit as good or better than my new 27" iMac. Being able to adjust height and angle is also good.

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

A quick check on eBay shows them selling for $450-650 so the price is fair. Downside is that it ties up your thunderbolt port for just the display. I have a difficult time with large displays due to my bifocals and getting the top of the screen in focus.

6. JeffiJers thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am almost leaning to the dell now as I picked up some good speakers.

Just need to make a decision soon, I don't want to leave her hanging

7. COrocket macrumors 6502

Good choice on getting external speakers. Some people like the cleanliness of having everything integrated in the display, but the sound quality will be much nicer from stand alone speakers. Personally I'd go with the Dell monitor.

8. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Go refurbed ATD instead. Look for deals on Black Friday.

9. JeffiJers thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't this be an apple only thing ? Couldn't imagine I would find a sale on this.

10. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Another thing to consider would be LED vs CFL backlighting. I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I've read that CFL can dim over time...

11. JeffiJers thread starter macrumors 6502a

Certainly can... Im so torn now between what to get. I really hate that apple won't just update the current model.

I want an apple display!!! :apple: but refuse to pay full price on old 2011 tech.

Hopefuly a 27" cinema pops up for a good price or dell it will be when i find a sale.

12. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Refurbed with warranty could be only Apple. But many folks sell Apple products at discounts.

http://appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/#

13. boomdog macrumors regular

boomdog

Surely, if apple are planning to release a new screen in the not so distant future, this Fridays sale will feature a good discount on the current screens to reduce their stock. I believe that would be logical, though there is not telling what apple have planned.

It can't however hurt to wait at least till the weekend to make you decision, see what pops up on Friday.

14. Baklava macrumors 6502a

Baklava

If I might go a bit off-topic: Is it still worth to buy a 30" ACD today? These displays are very old but so far I've not found a better display than these giant 30" displays from Apple (even Apples 27" LED & TB displays are not as good IMO). I am about to buy one used on ebay but I am really unsure... It is old technology and chances that it could get broken are big. What do you say? tw: I'm doing graphics work.

15. JeffiJers thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interested in this as well. I tried to research if these are user serviceable at all, mainly can the LCD bulb be replaced.

16. Bwa macrumors 6502

I've bought six Apple 30"s over the years and I still have 3 of them on my desk.

I also have 4 other 30"s in my office, a Dell 3011 and three HP ZR30w's.

I'd say the following:

- $400 for a working 30" in good shape seems like a good deal. Beware you will need the $100 dual-link adapter to use it with a non-DVI (i.e., MiniDisplayPort, Thunderbolt) Mac. It might be less of a good deal if you have to get that adapter, but you're still at under half the price of a new monitor.

- The Apple 30" is still competitive and still looks good.

- The three on my desk are 6 yrs old. They are taking longer to warm up than they used to. I've had to turn the brightness up a bit more than I used to have it. But it's still way under maximum brightness.

- HP ZR30w's are $1150 at BHphoto as of a week ago when I bought another one. Side-by-side, the quality of the HP is just as good or better.

- HP has a new LED-lit display that's around $1400 at BH. I would have bought those if I had known about them when I bought my three non-LED displays, but I didn't.

- The case of the HP and Dell are not nearly as nice as the Apple. But they do have the power supply internal; Apple's display has an external brick, which kind of sucks.

- Dell's new 30", the 3014, is fairly cheap but is getting a lot of poor reviews.

I feel that LCDs are doing a good job at lasting a long time. In 2004/2005, I bought a set of 17" panels that my family still uses and I still have my Viewsonic VP191b panels that I bought around then as well--and they work great. So I expect to get a few more years out of my 30" Apples.

Hope that helps.