Might buy a MacBook, but...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by RiCEADDiCTBOY, May 17, 2009.

1. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

So I am deployed ATM and my friend offered me 900 for my Dell XPS. Worthwhile deal since I love the new MacBooks even though I want a MacBook pro...but sadly don't have the cash for that. Was wanting a 2.4 MacBook. So my question is it a bad time to buy right now? When is the next refresh? The buyers guide stated neutral. So is the next refresh going to update anything I'd potentially regret? I primarily use my laptop for photoshop and illustrator.

2. JDee macrumors 6502a

Use the search function - I have answered three of the same threads today.

The Buyer's Guide is currently not showing up correctly at this time. You can see that the last product cycle refresh was in October so it may be just before, after or at October that there may be a small price decrease, spec bump or more.

3. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

It sounds like you're getting a good amount for that dell. I'd take advantage of it. If you like the MB, BUY IT! There's people who say that there will be an update at WWDC, and some who say the update will come in august or september. There's no way to know for sure.

4. fr00b macrumors regular

Just wait til after WWDC. They might introduce a little spec upgrade.

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I'm going to quote something a LOT of people say on this forum, and which I partially agree with.

6. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I strongly detest Dell, as I have just filed a lawsuit with them and know other who have taken a similar course of action. As a previous stock holder of Dell , I found their customer service unacceptable (I consequently rid myself of their stock soon after I had issues). I have just purchased a Mac a little over two months ago, and while I did have two issues, they were taken care of promptly and they gave me a 500GB external HDD as a gift for my issues as well. I strongly recommend that you steer clear of Dell regardless of whether or not you're buying a Mac. A refresh may be coming as early as next month as WWDC or as late as October.

7. techie4life macrumors 6502

He's wanting to sell his Dell, not buy stock in them.

8. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

I read the comments about the current screen and it seems 50/50. Love it or hate it. Am I really going to be annoyed when working on illustrator?

How well does the new macbook perform with current games?

Has anyone installed windows 7 via bootcamp? How well does it run?

What are the most notable changes that have a 80% chance of appearing??

9. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Though as not to suggest buying stock, I read it as though someone was going to sell him a similar laptop from Dell for $800. Apologies.

The new screens look gorgeous. I personally have one of them that doesn't match to many of the specific displays and I have yet to notice any wash outs. I have seen the MacBooks at the store which have had this effect, however.

I find many games acceptable, but remember that it still is an IGPU. What games are you wanting to play?

I have and it runs exceptionally well save the trackpad and battery life.

I don't understand. The majority of MacBook users are extremely satisfied with their purchase. Being a forum, we generally only hear of the negative issues regarding these machines. The most common issues that we have heard of are slanted function keys, loud space bars and ill fitting battery covers after opening. I am unsure if all of them have been fixed, but Apple told me that they redesigned the battery door to better fit the hold.

10. techie4life macrumors 6502

I can tell you that the MacBook Pro will perform much better with games than the MacBook because of the dedicated 9600M GT. As far as the screen goes, like you've said, some people think the MacBook screen is fine, and others think it's the pits. If you're going to be working with Illustrator, I would probably go with the MacBook Pro. You can get one refurbished from Apple (sometimes better than new) for $1699.

11. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

The only actual game I would be wanting to play on the MacBook would be Starcraft 2.

12. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY