Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iZeeshan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
So without thinking, I put iOS 6 on my iPad 3 and now it won't activate!

What do I do!?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You can't brick an iOS device. Put it in to DFU mode (Google it) and restore it to iOS 5.1.1. Only use iOS 6 if you are a registered developer and your device has its UUID registered with Apple.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

99% unbrickable. Only the iPhone 2G could be bricked by an end user. And that only was a small chance if the end user used ZiPhone to jailbreak their iPhone because ZiPhone was based on a buggy/incomplete Pwnage exploit. Members of the iPhone Dev-Team and other elite iOS people could brick an old bootrom 3Gs or older device. But they'd have to be wanting to brick it. redsn0w and other jailbreak tools are not able to brick a device. All "bricked" iDevices are able to be restored via DFU mode, unless it has a hardware problem.

Altimax98

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lakeland Fl
Well that's what happens when you install the beta hacktivate OS without fully reading the instructions...

I hope you made a backup with iTunes 10.6.3 or you won't be able to restore to your backup, stock basic 5.1.1 will be your only option

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
99% unbrickable. Only the iPhone 2G could be bricked by an end user. And that only was a small chance if the end user used ZiPhone to jailbreak their iPhone because ZiPhone was based on a buggy/incomplete Pwnage exploit. Members of the iPhone Dev-Team and other elite iOS people could brick an old bootrom 3Gs or older device. But they'd have to be wanting to brick it. redsn0w and other jailbreak tools are not able to brick a device. All "bricked" iDevices are able to be restored via DFU mode, unless it has a hardware problem.

i hate the misconception that your phone can be "bricked".

Dav1

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
i hate the misconception that your phone can be "bricked".

Misconception? :confused: would you deny that flash memory has a limited life span? Would you deny that users who chose to install the iPad baseband on their 3GS ran a real risk of "bricking" or frying their 3GS? I'll grant you the risk as a rule is slight, but none the less there is a real, if slight risk.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Misconception? :confused: would you deny that flash memory has a limited life span? Would you deny that users who chose to install the iPad baseband on their 3GS ran a real risk of "bricking" or frying their 3GS? I'll grant you the risk as a rule is slight, but none the less there is a real, if slight risk.

Just because the baseband is bricked, doesn't mean the phone is. As long as it still powers on, it isn't bricked. NAND Flash memory does have a limited life span, but the backlight will die long before the NAND does.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
You can't brick an iOS device. Put it in to DFU mode (Google it) and restore it to iOS 5.1.1. Only use iOS 6 if you are a registered developer and your device has its UUID registered with Apple.

Sage advice!
I purchased what I thought was the ability to add 6.0 and spent the next couple of hours trying to fix my 4S with complete failure.
I ended up having to remove all traces of iTunes (yes I had the latest installed) and reinstalling iTunes before I finally got rid of code 21 and code 1600 on attempted restores.

It wasn't so much the $11. lost but the grief in having to get it all back right.
I'll simply simmer down now and wait for the official release.
I don't know what got into me thinking I could get this loaded before hand.
(I face palmed myself after this experience!)

Dan14

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
Yeah it's a nightmare if you jump the gun.

But really the first release of any new iOS, although packed with new features, is usually riddled with bugs that just make it unenjoyable. Then, as many people have found, it's an arse to go backwards!

As everyone has said, plug into iTunes, DFU Mode, Restore, Bam.

Dav1

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
On an iPhone 4 it will hang with an active sim card installed, at the final boot... If you attempt to roll back to iOS 5.1.1 you'll find that the AT&T connection has been disabled, until you do an Earse all content and settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.