Might have deleted Microsoft Word on accident.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ambercarebear, Jan 9, 2010.

1. ambercarebear macrumors newbie

I bought this Mac used about two years ago. I do not remember if it came with a software CD for the OS. If it did, it would take a bit of rummaging to find it so I'm hoping this problem can be solved without the CD. If not, I'm more than happy to look for it. Also, I know for fact it did not come with the Microsoft Office CD. Here's my problem:

I was searching for Microsoft Word and could not find the application. I did however find the folder it should be in, which is empty. I have been attempting to clean up old applications and files I no longer use lately and am afraid I might have thrown Microsoft Word in my trash bin and then emptied it. I do have the rest of Microsoft Office (Excel, Power Point, Entourage), just not Word, so I hope that helps. I have not rebooted yet, just in case there's a chance of getting the Word application back.

I'm still getting pretty used to switching to my Mac OS from Windows, so pardon me if I have trouble comprehending any given solutions.

If you need more details to help me fix this problem, please let me know. I'd be happy to give the appropriate information to find the solution. Thank-you for taking the time to help me resolve this issue.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Microsoft Word does not come with Mac OS X, so it wouldn't be on that CD, anyway. You should have an installation CD for Microsoft Office. It should be easy to reinstall it from that. If you don't have that CD, as you mentioned, you might be able to contact Microsoft for a replacement CD. If you have any Time Machine or other backup, that might be an option, as well.

3. ambercarebear thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, the person I bought it from did not give me the CD with the laptop. I have Time Machine but it's not on (it will be though now for any future incidents!). I'll contact Microsoft for a replacement though. Thanks for your help!

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302822

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

They don't go into detail there, but he's probably going to need information he doesn't have (like his CD key and the other number I can't remember the name of). I wouldn't think just anyone could get a replacement CD.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you bought a computer with software preinstalled and didn't get a CD then you technically don't have a legit copy. Deleting it and not having a backup of your hard drive is a huge dumb mistake nowadays. It's just too damn easy in OS X.

Unfortunately you're likely going to have to buy a legit copy of office to get it back.

7. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Or download openoffice.org or the 30 day trial of iWork and see if they will fit your needs.

If you get on with iWork, you can purchase a licence from Apple and they will send you a key.