Might iMac get TB3 soon?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 2ms, Jan 1, 2016.

1. 2ms macrumors 6502

I want to get an iMac, but need Thunderbolt 3 to be able to access external GPUs. The iMac was recently updated in October, which was a little too early for TB3. In the intervening time, TB3 has become quite widely available and, for example, is expected for inclusion in a relatively imminent MBP release.

Does anyone know if there is any precedent for Apple including individual updates such as a new port type, mid-refresh-cycle?

I could wait a couple more months to get USB-C/TB3, but not 6-12 months for a standard major update.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't expect anything until the fall, but the one wild card is the fact that the 21" iMac is still Broadwell, so there is a small chance to see some sort of refresh.

Basically, I'm saying I don't know ;)

3. 2ms thread starter macrumors 6502

I wonder if Apple has ever added a new port to the iMac in between yearly updates.

4. torquer macrumors regular

I have no inside information, but expect the 27" to get a refresh of some kind before the end of 2016. Perhaps just new CPUs and GPUs (Pascal will be out by then so Apple may switch back to Nvidia). We will probably see a different design within the next 24 months as well.

As for the 21.5" 4k iMac, do not expect any internal hardware changes before Cannonlake at the earliest. Intel has already said they have no intention of making a socketed CPU with Iris Pro graphics. This is why the 21.5" 4k iMac has a Broadwell chip, specifically the 5675c or 5775c. There was no option to go with Skylake and Apple has clearly decided to limit dedicated GPUs to the Pro line and the 27" iMac.

5. desmond2046 macrumors regular

desmond2046

Unlike the iOS devices, the update cycle of Macs are very hard to predict. I personally think the iMac is due for a new generation update. I hope it is this year.

6. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

With the last update they could have updated the iMacs with TB3. It could have fitted with the timing and release of TB 3, but it would probably meant changing a whole lot on the motherboard as it also means implementing USB -C. However the Pro devices always get the new TB standard then the i-line. As the nnMP wasn't ready yet, due to newly expected cpu's and gpu's, Apple probably waited. So, nnMP probably this summer with USB-C with TB3 and massive improvement in GPU power and more cores CPU, MBP probably in the spring and new iMacs in October/November. And maybe 4 and 5k displays. Just my prediction for 2016! Happy Newyear!! :D

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Never. They update them or they don't. You have to consider how many machines they make, and what problems that could cause.

I remember the uproar there was when they silently started shipping faster G4 processors in some Mac Minis, than what was advertised.. Samsung/TMSC-gate all over again.

8. EnesM macrumors 6502

EnesM

Last major redesign was unveiled during WWDC in June, so everything is possible...

9. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502

satinsilverem2

I would guess WWDC at the earliest for an iMac refresh. Thunderbolt 3 will almost certainly come with it as will Skylake CPUs on all models.

10. roadkill401 macrumors 6502

roadkill401

But is everyone missing the key part to this persons quest.

He wants TB3 so he can get an external GPU for his mac. But as far as I can tell, this is not just a hardware issue but one of software in the form of OSX.

Example: Until quite recently, some mac's had put in SSD drivers but could not get TRIM to work even tough the hardware had the ability to do it, OSX just didn't allow that to function.

Example: The spec on the Skylake says it could support DDR4 memory, but for some reason, Apple still uses DDR3 memory on that iMac5k.

Just because it might be able, doesn't mean that it will be able.

11. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

I would want eGPU for gaming on the windows side - sounds like a pretty awesome way to have an iMac that is also a much more capable gaming machine than current forms. (And with gpu upgrades being possible finally!)