Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

finatk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
:apple:

bah.. right k , i voided the warrenty on the new blackberry bold 4 months ago without batting an eye lid when i wanted to apply the stealth kit.

Ive got an itch which needs scratching, think i might jail break my iphone tonight.

a) how easy is it to do

b) what are the main risks in doing so

and

c) Is it myth or fact that you can restore back to factory if you no longer wish to run a jailbroken iphone?

Also im running the latest software available, would that pose a problem in jailbreaking?

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
a. Takes about five minutes w/ quickpwn.

b. No risks except developing lag if you install too much crap.

c. Fact.

The latest firmware poses no problem if you are simply jailbreaking.

petemwah

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
a) it's easy to do with quickpwn and almost as easy with pwnagetool (provides a more customised jailbreak as far as apps to install etc)

b) no real risks, it's almost always possible to restore and you're VERY unlikely to damage it beyond repair by simply jailbreaking

c) you can revert back to factory settings using a DFU + restore.

latest software poses no difficulties in jailbreaking unless you were looking to soft-unlock the mobile for use on another network.

excuse the brief answers, but there are many guides and discussions on this topic on the forums, you just need to search... x

finatk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Now that was a QUICK! responce. :)

Much appreciated, looks like ill be breaking out this evening then.

Only an hour and a half until i finish work, cant wait :)

finatk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Cheers for the responces, should of done a search first but bit rushed today in work, lots of people coming in wanting to buy iphones (work for O2 if you hadnt guessed) :p

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
Another one to join the better side :cool:

And if you don't mind me asking, what's O2s policy on Jailbroken phones? Like for returning them/repairs etc? Or aren't they that bothered?

I once heard a member of staff at my local O2 store advising someone to Jailbreak their newly purchased iPhone! :D

petemwah

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Dont forget to back up your phone before jailbreaking!

and if i were you i'd then make a copy of that backup to another directory (you'll find it in USER/LIBRARY/APPLICATION SUPPORT/MOBILESYNC/), i did this myself and was thankful as then didn't have to completely erase everything when i un-jailbroke a while back...

finatk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
cheers for the responces guys, to answer the above question as you all probably know if your iphone is visably seen to be jail broken then obviously any repairs for free under the warrenty would be null & void.

However once restored the only way of checking would be an in depth look on the engineers part digging around in the delete logs, but a) apple engineers haven't got enough time to be checking every iphone that comes into repair in that much detail as youd imagine.

So as long as you dont come in to an O2 store with a wicked theme and cydia on the home screen you should be fine to send it away for repair. :cool:

I mean if completly by chance they realise it had been jail broken one time or another the worst thing that can happen is that they give you a quote to pay them to repair it or you dont pay anything and have the phone sent back and then get it repaired with a 3rd party company such as fone doctor.

*strange question i know, but on all the pics of jail broken iphones i never see the official app store icon only the cydia icon, does the app store work on jail broken handsets?

Italchef

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Maple, Ontario
I jailbroke my phone two days ago and I have to say that it's pretty cool. The customizing options are almost endless and it's nice to be able to change the phone's look. The best part for me has been the apps that are not available through Apple. Cycorder for taking video on the iPhone, Categories for making folders, Five icons in the dock, oh, and most importantly I've been able to get ROGERS off the phone as my carrier. I'd pay to be able to do that!
So far, no problems. Only issue is trying to get Clippy working. It keeps telling me that .94 is Beta and out of date and to upgrade, but can't find .95 anywhere.

Mick

finatk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Im in the understanding that i need quickpwn to Jailbreak, currently firmware on my phone is 2.2.1 all i can find is quickpwn for either 2g or 2.0.1 firmware, is there somthing im missing.

Ive backed up the phone and made a copy of that back up aswell, just trying to find where to go from here.

Dan

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
and if i were you i'd then make a copy of that backup to another directory (you'll find it in USER/LIBRARY/APPLICATION SUPPORT/MOBILESYNC/), i did this myself and was thankful as then didn't have to completely erase everything when i un-jailbroke a while back...

This is not necessary. The original backup file will be sufficient to restore all emails, SMS, and settings you have on your phone. Jailbreaking data will not be backed up.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Im in the understanding that i need quickpwn to Jailbreak, currently firmware on my phone is 2.2.1 all i can find is quickpwn for either 2g or 2.0.1 firmware, is there somthing im missing.

Ive backed up the phone and made a copy of that back up aswell, just trying to find where to go from here.

Dan

The Quickpwn that claims to only work for 2.0.1 or whatever it says works for 2.2.1. No worries.

Edit: Sorry for the multiple posts. At work and got interrupted in the middle of that last response.

finatk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
hehe np, just read over my last post, can tell im tired was stupidly easy to search and find the answer myself :p

going to attempt to jail break after ive eaten wish me luck :p

finatk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
:: Update ::

Jailbreak went fine \o/ im now on the dark side :D

Just need you guys to hit me up with what the best non-apple apps are to have obviously ive heard of winterboard and cycam as two nice ones to have.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated :D

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA

Just need you guys to hit me up with what the best non-apple apps are to have obviously ive heard of winterboard and cycam as two nice ones to have.

The next to get would be PDAnet, works great for tethering your iPhone's data connection to your notebook! Don't forget Cycorder, can't go without a video recorder!

petemwah

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009

also check out 5 icon dock and sbsettings, two i can't live without!

be careful with winterboard, it can really slow down iphone from my experience with it but do as you want x x

finatk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009

Going to give sbsettings a look now, is that the one where you can literally change every sound effect in the phone?

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
I just tried to myself, but was unable to because my iMac is on 10.5.6 I dont feel like downloading the work around =\

I even tried it with it plugged into my slim Apple keyboard (since I dont have a USB hub) but that still didnt work.

Rusalka

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
Northern Virginia
I just tried to myself, but was unable to because my iMac is on 10.5.6 I dont feel like downloading the work around =\

I even tried it with it plugged into my slim Apple keyboard (since I dont have a USB hub) but that still didnt work.

...I don't see the point of your post. Sorry to be rude, but what does this have to do with the topic? It just sounds like you're complaining because you're lazy.

You shouldn't be so lazy, the work around takes like ten minutes.

OP, Nice combination! I might have to rip you off ;)

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
...I don't see the point of your post. Sorry to be rude, but what does this have to do with the topic? It just sounds like you're complaining because you're lazy.

You shouldn't be so lazy, the work around takes like ten minutes.

OP, Nice combination! I might have to rip you off ;)

It had everything to do with it...first time jailbreakers...I too tried to jailbreak tonight (just like the title says).

Italchef

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Maple, Ontario
Attention first timers: I jailbroke mine 3 days ago using 10.5.6. The work around wasn't that difficult. There's a site that gives instructions. Basically, you sign up as a hobbyist developer with Apple, download and install a package, run quickpwn, download and install a second package and you're done. The packages do something to your USB so that it will work with Quickpwn. The whole thing took me maybe 20 min. Easy really and having a jailbroken phone really rocks. In short, it is what the iPhone should be and is capable of. Blows my mind, and that says something coming from a 45 yrs old! :)

Mick

PS here's the link. Follow instructions for fixing DFU mode in 10.5.6

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Rusalka

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
Northern Virginia
It had everything to do with it...first time jailbreakers...I too tried to jailbreak tonight (just like the title says).

Mmm, I don't know about that. The OP was seeking answers and advice. You were kind've just crying about how you wanted something yet didn't want to put any effort into it. Pointless input.

jsquared

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Nashvegas, TN
I've been flirting with the idea of Jailbreaking for a couple of weeks now. And after seeing the OP doing it successfully I think I want to take the leap. I know to back up my phone before I do anything. But can someone send me to a site that will give me a step by step, and I'm on a PC.

Sorry for being a newb, before I get all the replies informing me of such.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.