Might mouse on glass

MacBook Jack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2007
Any one know if they work on glass?

I have a bluetooth mighty mouse and i'm thinking about getting a desk with glass - surprisingly enough!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The previous generation Apple mice were / are certainly useless on glass. My original Apple Wireless Mouse does not work on glass at all. :(

Apple's blurb says this:

All-terrain Mouse

The wireless Mighty Mouse finds its way courtesy of a laser tracking system that boasts 20 times more sensitivity to surface detail than traditional optical tracking engines. So you can glide the wireless Mighty Mouse over more surfaces — metal, wood, plastic, even your denim (or tweed) clad leg.
Some reviews do mention working on glass...

Alderbw

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2007
I have not been able to get acceptable results while using the Mighty Mouse both wired and wireless on glass top desks. I have an Ikea frosted, tempered glass desktop and they don't work. I have also tried on glass top tables, where there is glass on top of a wood table and while it does have some tracking, it's spotty at best. Much like the new keyboard USB's this seems to be another false claim by Apple.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Strangely seems to depend on the glass, and seems to depend on the mouse. MM's work on certain glass surfaces but not on others. The same goes for other optical mice I have, but they don't always work on the same surfaces.

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
If it doesn't then you can always buy a mouse pad. I don't know where you are going to find one... Maybe an antique shop somewhere might have one.

The Stig

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Doesn't work for me on my glass top coffee table. Bought a piece of marble to place on table, it doesn't track on that either.

I guess it depends on the glass.