Might the 5G Touch be out-of-date for gaming the moment is launched?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DJLanglois, Sep 16, 2012.

1. DJLanglois macrumors member

I really, really, really, really want to get a Touch at launch. I've already got my unit preordered.

But I'm worried. It has a worse processor than the iPhone 5. And it may (based on some indications) have less RAM than the iPhone 5's 1GB. Given that, might the Touch be out-of-date for gaming as soon as it is launched? Specifically, might we soon see games that *only* run on the iPhone 5 and do not run on the new Touch?

I realize that the iPhone's resources need to go a tiny bit further, since it is also running cellular and GPS stuff, over top the base iOS functions. So perhaps the addition processing/memory resources will not wind up making a huge difference to gaming capabilities. But, since I'm not a tech-head, I have no idea.

Does anyone knowledgeable want to make a guess?

Thanks!

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

No way. Only minority of iPhones will be 5's. Most of market will still be 4 and 4S, and don't forget iPad 2's, and 3's still have the same cpu unit as well. Developer would be foolish to limit them.

No, not out of date for 2yrs, maybe 3.

3. john bacon macrumors newbie

Most games are retro compatible as far as the 3th generation ipod touch today.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It has the same processor and RAM as the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S, both of which are still for sale.

5. DJLanglois thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I understand all of this.

My question was: might there be games made that will require an iPhone 5 (due to the RAM and processor)? That is all. Sorry for the confusion.

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Very unlikely, but there's no way for us to know for sure.

Most games will probably just reserve certain graphics effects (like the realtime reflections shown in the Real Racing demo) for the iPhone 5, and disable those effects on other devices.

Game developers are probably quite used to this now, as they already have to scale games across multiple generations of iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

The fact that Apple is still selling multiple devices as new with this processor (iPad 2, iPhone 4S, and iPod touch 5th gen) means that it's very unlikely that a developer would choose not to support these devices. No guarantees though.