Mightly bad mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RobP, Mar 20, 2009.

1. RobP macrumors member

After a week of my first Mac ownership I have to say that I'm a little taken aback by the mighty mouse. For me it seems to be an ergonomic disaster. The side buttons are hard to activate and more importantly the 'right' mouse button needs some dextrous gymnastics to operate properly.

Further investigation revealed that the mighty mouse uses one button only, with sensors that detect which buttons your fingers are resting on. Now I adore Apple engineering, but this mouse just seems to be engineering gone wrong. Who would decide to replace an additional button with a bunch of electronics to perform finger detection? Why not include that second button thus removing the need for the electronics?

Am I the only one that thinks this, or am I still too 'Windowzed' and not yet operating this mouse the way it should be operated?

RobP

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The term you're looking for is not "Windozed", but "RDF" (Reality Destortion Field). Eventually you will come to terms that Apple is superior, and ergo it must be your fault that you don't like the mighty mouse.

When the mighty mouse breaks in about 9 months because the little nub won't register scrolling, you'll go to the local store and buy a new mouse for $50 when you can get a normal and functional mouse for about 1/2 that price.

3. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

For me it was fun for the 1st 5 months. Then I just hooked up my Logicool G5. I guess the MightyMouse is the best mouse ever shipped with a maker PC - or at least one of the best. Most mice I've gotten supplied with the PC go directly into the trash - don't even need to try them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah baby! Yeah!

It even comes with a set of configurable weights so you can get the feel perfect for the way you like. :D

4. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

The Mighty Mouse is rubbish, but Apple have never been good at mouse design anyway. Go buy a Logitech.

5. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I thought the mini track-ball in place of a wheel was a great design idea. The EFI finger placement detection too. Logicool/Logitech is better but I wouldn't call the mightymouse rubbish.

6. ooninay macrumors member

I love the Mighty Mouse ball and how the mouse looks, but ergonomically I find it uncomfortable to use for long periods of time. Aside from the general discomfort I get in my wrist, I can't reliably do a right-click with it all the time. When want to right click a two-button mouse, it right-clicks 100% of the time. With Mightymouse, it's something like 90-95% even after having had one since they first came out. And yeah, those side buttons are too awkward for me too.

7. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yeah, hehehe Right-clicks had to be relearned. Because the tech in the mighty mouse senses where your fingers are, if both fingers are touching when you RMB it can register wrongly.

8. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

The trackball idea was great, but the implementation was shoddy, leading to the balls jamming and ultimately not working. Hardly good design. Finger placement was clever, but was it really necessary? People learnt to lift their left finger when right clicking, but that's just forcing people to do something for the sake of it. The side buttons are hard to squeeze, and force the hand to "pinch" rather than click.

Plus, ergonomically, a lozenge is awful. There's a reason Logitech mice (and others) are hump shaped.

9. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Breast simulation?