Might've just ruined another PPC

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by TC_GoldRush, May 4, 2018.

1. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

My first iBook G4 was covered in permanent marker when I first got it, so I scrubbed it all off... accidentally taking off the shiny protective finish... machine now has several deep groves on the plastic body, is there a way to buff those out? I tried scrubbing it.. It's ugly af now and all attempts to clean and buff out the scratches just make the laptop look worse. The outside shell is disgusting, full of deep scratches, dull (not shiny), and it's now missing a foot :( @AphoticD I'm sure you're good with these situations, what do I do? Or is the machine just ruined? Considering just replacing the outside shells of the two iBooks.. not sure.

[​IMG]
    (Machine with damaged shell on the right)
    [​IMG]
    (Machine with damaged shell on the right- looks a lot worse in real life, camera doesn't quite pick up all the little nicks and scuffs, and the shiny coating is nearly 100% gone)
    [​IMG]
    (Machine with damaged shell on the right)

2. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Don't think I can really help here, but what did you scrub it with?
    When faced with similar dirty or scuffed iBooks/PBooks/MacBooks, I've only used a dampened Magic Eraser without using too much pressure. Has given reasonable results without being too drastic aestetically.

3. TC_GoldRush thread starter macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

Going to be honest here... The abrasive side of a sponge, there was orange permanent marker with some lettering on it. It didn't leave any deep grooves, but it took the shiny finish off the laptop. I attempted to use a wood shiner to get the finish back, but it ended up a flop.

4. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Could try the headlight resurfacing kits. But they are abrasive as well. There probably isn’t a solution that isn’t either a fine grit abrasive to polish it with. Or possibly something that fills grooves and is clear and buffs to a shine.

If it were me, I’d probably either live with it, or sand it and prep it for paint. And do a nice durable paint on it. A chance for customization. Obviously you’d have to remove internal parts to paint it. Including the screen.

5. G4fanboy macrumors regular

Do you need it to be shiny?

I would repaint the plastics, "lijar", repaint, "lijar" and re-re-paint.

Just as it been a wood guitar that you want with colour.

Fender has a product that make more shiny the guitars called Guitar Polish that MAYBE could help.

I would paint that white iBook in a colour from the CTR iMacs, given that the white is ruined

6. TC_GoldRush thread starter macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

The bottom case is a lost cause, several DEEP grooves and so many scratches. The top cover is what I'm trying to fix. I would love to simply put a skin or something over it and call it a day but can't find any. What thing or substance would fill a small groove? I dont mind polishing, would differing arrays of sandpaper work? I dont want to remove the internal parts (again) unless I have to (IE Machine breaks, or part breaks).
    --- Post Merged, May 5, 2018 ---
    That would be awesome... but I really REALLY dont want to open that damned thing up again (and remove all the parts) so I could paint it.

7. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

There were shells / outer cases made years ago that you might be able to find. I don’t remember the brand. But there’s google.

For skins, if you can’t find one the right size, consider finding something you like and trimming it to fit.

For filling the grooves, probably some type of polyurethane clear. If it were me, I’d use automotive grade primer filler and then paint. But if you don’t want to remove parts, you’re going to need a good hand to paint without spraying.

8. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

If you want it to look 'as-new' again and resemble a black MacBook, I would suggest re-skinning it.
    I was impressed a short while back when watching a YT Thinkpad reskin video using Plasti Dip spray. I've never used the product but surely will one day on an old IBM ThinkPad. The procedure looks straight forward, and results very professional.
    If you wish to spend a little more and have something unique, there's the dBrand skins, especially with the black carbon fiber texture. You can find several related YT videos using the dBrand and also 12"Macbook Carbon Edition keywords - same procedure may work too on a very scruffy iBook trackpad surface. You may run foul of the purists though at 'vandalising' an iBook......;)
    Please keep us updated if you go these routes.

9. AphoticD macrumors 68000

AphoticD

To clean the white iBooks (and MacBooks) I normally use (in order);
    • Rubbing alcohol (IPA) to lift grime and pen marks, sticker residue and permanent marker
    • Whitening toothpaste on a lightly damp cloth. It really works wonders. This also works well on lifting the yellowing on the iBook G4s and MacBooks (also on car headlights).
    Be careful around any printed lettering as it can easily rub off. The G3 iBooks are impervious to this though.

In the past I have successfully buffed out scratches and restored the glossy sheen to a 2nd gen iPod (Firewire) using Brasso. It takes time to gently polish the surface but it would likely work the same on the polycarbonate plastic of the iBook.

10. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Made me remember one of the service customers that I had, years ago.
    Brought in one of those white iBooks, to swap out a dead optical drive.
    It was covered in marker scribbles.
    "Do you want me to try to clean that case", I asked (without giving a lot of encouragement)
    Got a quick "No!". "I gave that to my kids when I first bought it, along with some markers - asking them to "autograph" and draw whatever they like.
    I use it at work, and I know it is mine. I think of my children each time I use it.
    And, no one would steal that ugly thing. I like the marks".

I had to like what he did.
    I know that doesn't help you - but just had to share a shop story of mine...

11. RhianB macrumors 6502a

RhianB

Use a buffing wheel. If you don’t have access to one, I’ve also used a buffing set for a drill to take out light scratches then giving it a good going over with CD polish. Deep scratches you’re kinda screwed. The best I’ve ever done on those was to backfill the scratch with a clear fingernail polish, let cure & polish/buff over that.

Worked pretty well. Best of luck.
    Another option I’ve heard about but never actually done myself is to use a spray can clear coat like one folks use for cars. A buffing wheel or polishing cream has always worked out pretty well for me however & the thought of putting a CC layer on it just seems to me as one more thing that will scuff & svratch in time.

12. pl1984 macrumors 68000

Another vote for the headlight polishing suggestion with a different approach. When polishing my vehicle headlights I finish it with a 50/50 mix of spar urethane and mineral spirits. Will it work on an iBook? No idea but I've thought it might be something to try on an iBook (I just don't have an iBook that needs it)

13. TC_GoldRush thread starter macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

Thank you for sharing your story DeltaMac, put a smile on my face.
    Never even knew "brasso" was a thing, checking that out now... Also I did originally try using 99% rubbing alcohol and the permanent marker writing just kinda smeared.
    Yeah, the G4 has virtually no printed lettering on the bottom anymore... oops.
    Trying that either tonight or tomorrow, thank you.
    Might actually try that.. I have some of that stuff in my garage.. haha thanks.

14. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

I would get one of those headlight restoration kits with the drill attachment. Those kits supposedly take the scratches and dullness out of plastic headlight covers. Might work on a laptop as well.

Sorry did not see it was suggested. In that case you could also use an automotive buffer with a light compound. Be careful you can burn through the plastic in a heartbeat.