Mighty mouse about to get smashed

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Maurier, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Maurier macrumors regular

Having issues with Mighty mouse to the point that i will soon smash it into a wall.
    I enabled the right click option in the menu since i use it to play Worlf of Warcraft sometimes.
    I just noticed the the right clicking works on and off and it's really annoying.
    I will left click a few times then right click will not work untill i press it like 2 or 3 times.
    Is it just me or this mouse is really that terrible?
    I was getting so frustrated in wow cause i had to like click several time to let the right click button work.
    Sometimes it will work every time i click it and then boom for few clicks it acts like the left buttong.
    No wonder that right click is disabled by default.

I was playing wow for like 5 hours straight without a itch , smooth, lag free and no crushes. How is it possible that a company that makes such a good computers is incapable of making a decent mouse?

Found this article on seems I'm not the only oen. I guess it's time for a new mouse?
    All suggestions welcomed.

PS

I also had another problem and i disabled bluetooth options on the mac pro. Few times when i powered up the pc it will stop at the desktop and a dialogue box will appear saying that it's looking for bluetooth devices? And my mouse and keyboard will not work there was no red light under the mouse.
    Happened twice and had to hard reboot.
    Somethign interfeering with the bluetooth ? Only done twice so far but now with bluetooth disabel will not do it anymore.

2. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Got to be honest, I hate the Mighty Mouse and I would go ahead and smash it. Maybe do a video of it on You Tube, make an occasion out of it.

The Mighty Mouse needs to die.

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The mighty mouse is a terrible gaming mouse. One source of your problems may be that it is incapable of detecting a right mouse click if you're already doing a left mouse click - it can't detect simultaneous clicks. I lived with the Mighty Mouse for several months before the gunking up mouse ball and lack of a reliable right click made me give up on it and switch back to my ageing Intellimouse. When the Magic Mouse came out I figured I'd give it a go but the lack of any worthwhile multitouch gestures, the uncomfortable hard angles and again the lack of a reliable right mouse click made me again switch back to Microsoft. Apple make fantastic computers and really superb trackpads but they couldn't make a decent mouse even if their lives depended on it.

4. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

You can smash it up against a wall, but the question is, will it blend? :D

5. Maurier thread starter macrumors regular

If i have my middle finger on the left button (I use the mouse on my left hand) and i try to right click with my index finger it will never work. If i lift the middle finger from the left button and then I right click it will be more consistent but it still fails from time to time.
    It just makes me laugh cause Apple wants to make this fancy peripherals but they don't work.
    So I'm stuck with a terrible mouse that doesn't work but at least i can say it's an ingenious little device.
    Please Apple JUST make a normal down to earth regular mouse just like everyone else.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

My MM sits in the box in the closet, its still unopened... I use all my other "PC" mice with my :apple: products...

7. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I hated my mighty mouse too. It was ergonomically poor. Having to press the whole mouse for a button click is poor design. I was ready to smash mine but now it just sits in a box in the closet never to be used again.

8. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

It won't detect a right click if another finger is touching I'm afraid. It's just a limit of the design. Basically there is only one clicking mechanism and it decides whether it is a left click or a right click depending on where it detects finger contact.

Basically:

If it detects a finger touch only on the left then it will left click.
    If it detects a finger touch only on the right then it will right click.
    If it detects a finger touch on both the left and right then it will left click.

You're only solution is to either buy a mouse from another manufacturer (since the Mighty Mouse has the same innate problem) or you have to get used to always lift your left finger up when doing right clicks.

9. Maurier thread starter macrumors regular

Can any reccomend a good mouse ( wired if possible ) for gaming?

I was thinking of this let me know what you think

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.171793100/categoryId.35208800

or

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.169416100/categoryId.35208800

Also with razer products will i be able to use their software to controlt he mouse on a Mac or use the OSX one?

10. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

The touch sensitive part is dying, mine did that, the reason it works after clicking so much I guess is it it making contact again. Your mouse is dying, buy a new one, the MM were awesome mice, but they never worked to their best potential.

11. charliex5 macrumors regular

When I was still using a mighty mouse I would notice that as I would use it I would have to click further and further to the right to actually activate the right click. When it got the point of being unbearable I would "simply" turn it off and turn it back on and it would be normal again.

Between this issue and the trackball continually sticking no matter what cleaning methods I used, it was an incredibly irritating experience. The Magic Mouse is MUCH better in my opinion but for gaming they both fail miserably. Its too bad Apple hasn't made a mouse that works for everything people want to do. I've had to keep an old Microsoft wired optical mouse from 2002 still sitting in my desk drawer.

12. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The Razer mice are quite popular with gamers but personally I think they look ugly as sin. I've always sworn by Microsoft's Intellimice but their latest version doesn't have their new Bluetrack technology so instead I opted for a Comfort Mouse 4500. I don't really like wireless mice and never need more than the standard buttons (although this one does have an extra button on either side but I've never used them).

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I guess my question is why is a "pro" user using a Mighty Mouse. It's a very "unpro" mouse. I'm not even sure it's a good consumer mouse.

Does any other MP users find it ironic that Apple's low end computer doesn't include a mouse or keybd under the theory that "everyone has extras" of these, yet pro users are literally forced to buy them since they are included (don't think for a second that Apple throws these in at no-charge). I wish Apple would give buyers the option of say a $70 credit to exclude these items. Better yet, just don't include them and reduce the price of machines by that amount.

14. Maurier thread starter macrumors regular

My mouse and keyboard are both wired I'm not a huge fan of wireless things.
    The wired mouse has the same problem with right clicking It's an issue with the sensor i guess.
    I had my Mac for almost 5 months now and i just noticed this since i have been play World of warcraft this past few days.
    If you just browsing the net or using iPhoto etc you will probably not even notice it , I sure didn't.

15. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

The Mighty Mouse deserves to be smashed for this only:

http://www.apple.com/uk/mightymouse/design.html

"No wonder it's a wonder.

Have a Ball"

Revolutionary...

I forgot: "Give it a hand". I can't imagine how Apple's marketing team would try to sell a dildo...

16. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I like my blue trak MS mouse but I wish it had a nano receiver like my iHome mice... the MS arc is a good travel mouse but not good for use on a couch/bed, etc... lots of my friends use the wired sidewinder's for gaming or the razors... it comes down to personal feel of what you like... good luck.

17. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

It's particularly noticeable in games, WoW in particular where you want to right click to look around or hold both buttons to run. There's nothing wrong with your sensor though, it's just a design flaw. A mouse with just one button is still just a one button mouse no matter what fancy fluff you try to add on to it.

18. Gomff macrumors 6502a

I use a wired Microsoft Intellimouse. It's kind of ironic that the one thing Apple can't get right is something that Microsoft has had nailed for quite a long time now.

I never got on with wireless (Bluetooth) keyboards or Mice since if I booted to Windows I'd have to re-pair them everytime, which also causes hassles with basic things such as logging in. I never found a way round that problem so the wireless keyboard just sits gathering dust in the drawer.

Apple seem unable to accept that a mouse should have at least two (and preferably three) separate buttons despite the fact that so much software utilizes them.

Quite like the look of that new trackpad though......Wouldn't be bothered about using it in Windows, but for OS X it looks like quite a nice thing to have.

19. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

The only thing I hate about MY Mighty Mouse is the fact that I can no longer scroll up. I can do everything else perfectly.

One of these days I am going to get real ambitious and cut it open and clean the ball.

20. Tali macrumors member

Unplug the mouse, take a clean sheet of paper, put the trackball on the sheet of paper, go nuts and roll around for about a minute (just go in all directions)
    That usually does it. You will see the dirt come out on the side of the ball.

Edit: Then throw it out .). The 360 degree scrolling is nice, but I just don't like the right click - having to lift the fingers off the mouse - problem. I use a Logitec MX something or other. Wasn't too expensive, works perfectly and is rather nice to work with all day.

21. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

I loved the idea of the Mighty Mouse but it was obvious the instant they announced it that it was a flawed design. The mechanical ball of mice was long since replaced with optics/lasers because of problems with the ball getting dirty. So what a stupid idea putting a ball on the top of the mouse - a touch sensitive area was obviously needed.

The other flaw was the fact that you only have one click mechanism. Prior to getting a Mighty Mouse I had a Microsoft mouse, and had got used to using at least 2 buttons simultaneously - something that's impossible on the Mighty Mouse and at first was very frustrating.

The Magic Mouse is a huge improvement over the Mighty Mouse in terms of point 1, and overall it's the best mouse I've ever used. Having said that, it's still limited by my second point, and I admit I haven't had time for gaming since I got the Magic Mouse and I guess the click mechanism makes it quite limiting for that.

22. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Yikes.

And I say "yikes" for more reason that one. First of all, my Logitech MX Revolution (best mouse I've ever used) stopped working suddenly last week. Luckily I remembered I had an unused and still in-the-wrapper Mighty Mouse in my Mac Pro box, so I'm on that now. Second, I've been searching for a replacement to the MX Revolution. Seems Logitech doesn't make it anymore. I saw some "Performance MX" mouse and assume that's its replacement.....

I have been considering whether to get the Magic Trackpad to replace it, as I cannot stand using this Magic Mouse (plugged into the right-hand side of my wired aluminum keyboard). I hope I can find a suitable replacement soon before that little ball on my Magic Mouse clogs up and I end up throwing it across the room!!!

23. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I'll take it off your hands! I love the Mighty Mouse! :D

24. snouter macrumors 6502a

Apple usually builds nice hardware. They really overthink the mouse though and it has led to some disasters.

[​IMG]

25. you39 macrumors regular

I liked that mouse a lot. It just took a little to get used to it.