Mighty Mouse and Keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mr.PS, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

I recently got a mac pro - I've been using it for like 2 weeks and it's great. I can't seem to get used to the Mighty Mouse and Keyboard though. My mousing hand (right) is killing me. My entire forearm is sore and I've actually started using my left hand for mousing. It feels stiff and fatigued. I have fairly normal sized hands. I'm 6'1 and not overweight. How does everyone else like the keyboard and mouse? I have a fairly shallow desk and a 30" ACD. Maybe I need more room, maybe I need a gel wrist rest?

2. pv2b macrumors newbie

The keyboard is fine for my needs, but I don't really like the mouse, so I replaced that with a Logitech MX610 Left Handed Edition. (Yes, I'm a lefty. :) )

While I didn't quite experience pain using the Mighty Mouse, it certainly felt uncomfortable to me -- mostly the way right-clicks are implemented as well as the useless side buttons. I loved the scroll ball though, the only thing I miss off that mouse.

If you don't like the input devices, go ahead and change them. Everybody's different. Certainly don't persist using a mouse if you actually feel pain using it. Your health is way more important than using an Apple product at any cost. :)

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

It sounds like your position at your desk isn't very good. I have chair arms, so my right arm rests on the arm of the chair and is horizontal to the desk and resting gently on the top of the MM. As for the keyboard, I nudge it around all over the shop, but it's by far the best and most comfortable I've ever used. I have a big desk, though, which helps - otherwise I think I'd get a sun tan off the 30" ACD. Sitting too close can't be doing your eyes any good either :p

4. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I really liked the Mighty Mouse and aluminum keyboard when I used them in-store, but after using them for several weeks straight, I couldn't deal with it anymore. The keys are a little too close together for my liking (I have big hands), and I was hitting the eject key almost as often as the delete key.

The mouse's tracking speed and the fact that hitting the button even sort of close to the middle would pop up the right-click menu instead of left-clicking just drove me crazy.

I ended up getting the same setup I had on the PC - Microsoft Laser Desktop for Mac (Wireless comfort keyboard for Mac, and the Wireless laser mouse 6000)

Now I'm back typing at full speed again (I was making lots of errors that I would have to correct on the alum KB), and my Photoshop work gets done a lot quicker.

-Bryan

5. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Weird. I've been using the Mighty Mouse since the day it was released. It's the best mouse I've ever used. I also have the last rev of the wireless keyboard (the white one) and that too has never given me any discomfort. Are you sitting at the right height? If you are too high or too low it will put an unnatural bend in your wrist. That over time will fatigue you.

6. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

The Mighty Mouse...

...is a carpal tunnel disaster waiting to happen...

Apple will soon have their Nathan Johnson-type lawsuit over that design ("Damn these glasses!") :)

7. oban14 macrumors 6502a

Go buy a Kensington Expert Mouse 7.

Your forearm will thank you.

8. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Seriously?

9. thedommer macrumors regular

its wierd that apple doesnt offer other alternatives. I cant use their keyboard. my wrists get mad in about 8 minutes. and their mouse is a joke compaired to the logitech MX1000/Revolution.

I know steve is obsessed with simple clean lines but why not offer the option for an extra 50 bucks to get an ergonomical keyboard and mouse. a lot of people would buy that. I know I would!

10. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

I use a Logitech MX510 for my mouse, but the keyboard is fine for me.

11. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Yea I have a hard time clicking and dragging with the Mighty Mouse here at work. I love the fact that its 4 buttons and a scroll, but it doesn't compare to my Logic mouse at home. New keyboard is fantastic though.

12. designer22 macrumors member

I use a Wacom tablet and highly recommend it for anything you would do with a mouse. Holding a pen is much more natural.

I am, however, looking for an alternative to the aluminum keyboard that came with the Mac Pro...just don't like it's feel...any suggestions for a more traditional-type keyboard?

13. OnePumpChump macrumors regular

OnePumpChump

I recieved my macpro last week, and I already gave up on the wireless mighty mouse. I love the wireless logitech laser mouse, great for gaming also, 9 buttons! I think it pretty hard to go from the logitech 9 button mouse to the mighty mouse. The apple wireless keyboard however, is fine for me.

14. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

I second this, i have one and its absolutely the best mouse ive ever used!

not to mention when working in large windows or projects and you need that horizontal scrolling just hold shift and use the scroll wheel, i thought that was a great addition!

ive have had this for about 2 years now and its held up and has been perfect since day one!

wrists dont hurt, great finger flexibility, perfectly accessible buttons and ergonomic feel to it

15. crm114 macrumors member

i do not like the mighty mouse - everytime i move my hand quickly or when I amd stretching alittle to reach something, i accidently hit the side buttons - this drives me crazy so i just disabled them. other than losing some functionality, it seems fine.

love the keyboard - btu i am swithcing to the wireless version in the near future. lack of number pad not such a big deal to me.

on the wireless mouse front - i have never had good luck with gaming and wireless mice - any further info on what works well in first person shooters would be helpful...

16. MikeL macrumors 6502

If it is making you hurt, why on Earth are you still using it? Other people's opinions aren't going to make your hand/arm feel better or worse.

Get a mouse and keyboard combination that is right for you!

17. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Well, no, I'm not an orthopaedic surgeon, but I know my wrist hurts when I use an Apple mouse for an extended period of time..

18. snagitseven macrumors member

I have the wireless Logitech S530 keyboard and mouse combo. Been using for 2 years now. Great design, full keyboard size, comfortable mouse but the software can be a bit picky if you want to use the programmable extra keys on the mouse and keyboard. Their new LCC 2.4 software is actually working great w/no probs on my new MP Leopard.

19. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

I think Apple mice are so tacky, visually and usability.

The pure white makes me think its a pr0n toy, just like the Wii controllers.

Put two logitech mice next to it, not only does the quality in the Logitech design shine, the Logitech mice are such a joy to use. Mighty mouse looks like a cheap tacky $8 mouse.

[​IMG]

My wrist ends up getting cramp as well like the other person said.

The only thing I like about the mighty mouse is its nipple! It's nice to scroll with. I can't stand the rest. It feels awful to use... and Apple hasn't even started using Laser mice yet...

I see a big difference in tracking with laser mice.

I can't flaw the Apple keyboards though. It's such a joy to type with them.

20. MikeL macrumors 6502

Logitech has its share of less-than-ideal designs, too. That MX Revolution you pictured has a crappy button layout around the thumb.

I really like some of Logitech's older designs.

21. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

I guess it really does come down to personal preference.

I like it quite snug, but I've never had issues with the buttons. I've been using this Since September 06.

Using the far away arrow button:
    [​IMG]

Using the closest arrow:
    [​IMG]

Normal usage:
    [​IMG]

This may look cramped and tight on the hand, but my hand is relaxed like that. My fingers are just barely touching it. Ever so lightly. Almost feathering it.

I never get cramp or fatigue like this.

The other thing I like about the thumb area against previous Logitech mice. That area on the MX Revolution never gets greasy from the oil from your thumb after heavy use. Hour after hour. I suffered that a lot on the MX700/MX1000.

22. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

I want to go with that mouse. How is it under OSX? I've had the Logitech DiNovo (returned it), I then ordered the MX5000 bluetooth combo and ended up not returning it because I physically damaged it during a spur of the moment rage against the equipment due to extreme lag in Windows XP. This was in late 2005. Do you get any lag or anything with the MX Revolution.

23. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

It is known for its issues with the USB receiver, but this only happens if its 1.5 - 2 ft away from the mouse. Slight pauses now and then if its this distance.
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=logitech mx revolution lag

When its 1ft away. I never get lag or any pauses. It is fluid. It is currently plugged into the back of the display.

Also do not use Logitech's software on OS X, if you decide to get a Logitech mouse. Its satan. Look into USB Overdrive, or Steermouse.

Though, however. There is a Bluetooth version of this mouse on the way. I don't know when.

24. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, so it's very comfortable. What will bluetooth give me over RF? I've never really been a huge fan of Bluetooth.

25. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun