Mighty Mouse and scrolling down

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ITASOR, Aug 6, 2007.

1. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

So I've had this Mighty Mouse ever since they came out a couple years ago. Like most of them, it stopped scrolling down and I had to rub it upside down on some paper to clean it out. After doing this it was good for a couple months before I had to do it again.

Lately (past month or so), it stops scrolling down daily and I have to rub the crap out of it before it works again for another few hours of use.

I filled a paper cup with rubbing alcohol, pushed in the scroll ball, and poured the whole cup full down the opening, let it dry out, and it lasted a few days then did the same thing.

So I'm thinking about soaking it overnight in a bowl of 100% rubbing alcohol, or watered down rubbing alcohol. If that doesn't work I'll run it over like iGary did.

2. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Why don't you disassemble it and give it a more thorough cleaning?

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Because that's a pain and might void your warranty.

4. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Mighty Mouse does not have a warranty after like 2 years of use...

I'll give taking it apart and cleaning it a try before I give it a bath.

5. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

And drenching it would not?:rolleyes:

I am glad you answered that. I wouldn't want to be considered a troll.:D If you can install ram in a mini, the mighty mouse isn't too hard to take apart, but you will have to glue it back together, or so I have read in a few tutorials. I have not had any problems with my 2 year old mighty mouse so far, but after all the horror stories I read, I researched it a little, just in case. Happy hacking. :)

6. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

I took it apart, down to the magnetic roller pins in the scroll mechanism and cleaned it all out. Scrolls like new, way different and much better than just rubbing the crap out of it.

It wasn't that bad. I found a utility knife (small one) and a spudger worked the best, and once I had the big grey ring off everything else was easy. I've worked on tons of Mac laptops though, so that helps. I wouldn't attempt it if you've never opened anything before!

Just have to glue the ring back on now.

Thanks! Mouse is good for another year maybe.

7. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Glad it worked! I hope it doesn't affect your warranty! :D

and you just paid yourself $50 an hour!

(whats a spudger?)

8. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Spudger is the black nylon tool that Apple techs use to open notebooks so they don't mark the plastic all up (like if you used a screw driver to pry). Mostly used with the iBook G4's for getting the plastic top half off.

I tried the nylon iPod tools at first, but those things are like disposable! The plastic shreds in a couple minutes. I've gone through so many of those things in the past year. :(

I also sprayed the crap out of the rollers with iKlear, because it usually works to prevent dust from sticking. Maybe there won't be a huge dust wad in there next time. :D

I'm glad taking it apart was suggested though, but I didn't realize that it was possible without breaking it. I didn't even leave a mark on it anywhere.