Mighty Mouse Back Button At All Possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DAbrams, Feb 26, 2008.

1. DAbrams macrumors newbie

So I just got my first ever Mac two weeks ago, and am still playing around with everything, trying to get used to everything.

I got a wireless Mighty Mouse with the iMac, and am trying to configure it so one of the buttons is "Back" in my browser. So far, however, I have had no luck in making this happen. It does not seem to be in the Keyboard and Mouse options in System Preferences.

If anyone could give me some help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Afaik, there is no one button solution. What I do is right click on a web page and select back from the menu. Just be sure the pointer isn't hovering over anything at the time.

3. DAbrams thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a great solution! I hadn't even thought of that!

Any idea why you cannot do this? In the two weeks of using my iMac, I've absolutely fallen in love with it, but still don't understand why I can't do this!!

4. mediumofmeaning macrumors member

i messed around with this idea for a long time. short answer: yeah, it's possible, but you're better off just getting the logitech vx revolution like i just did.

the mighty mouse will fail you sooner or later. right click'll stop working. scroll ball will get stuck a lot. screw with your isight on a low battery, etc.

however, if you really want to pursue it, try usb overdrive. it's a shoddy program in my opinion, and screws up your scrolling to a really unnatural feel, so i ditched it. i think you can also write some program specific applescripts, and tell the mouse to apply those via the mouse controls in system prefs.

neither sound that great, huh?

5. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Years ago I had a Dell 600m laptop, the touchpad supported gestures, so to go back I just swiped from right to left across the top of the pad. Why my uber deluxe super MacBook Pro can't do this is beyond me!

6. Musick7 macrumors newbie

@ Auroraproject

Aurora,

Man where have you been all my Life… I've had a iMac since 2.5 years ago and I've been using the Keyboard "Delete/Back" Key to go back a page... I just ran across this page while searching in Google for a solution/terminal/Hack to turn one of the 4 buttons on a Mighty Mouse into a Back button and here all this time you just have to Fracking RIGHT CLICK!!!
    If I was gay I'd kiss ya right on the lips and probably with tongue! (The tongue part would be because of.. This is where your favorit sitcom acter chimes in and says, "I get it I get it!")
    OH yea sorry if I offended anyone, I am really using the Term "Gay" from the Webster Dictionary 1914 edition which means I am happy.

OH yea thanks for pointing out the Right Click back option. I've seen it a million times but Dee Da Dee

7. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I recommend replacing the word "gay" with homosexual. That being said, I do not take any offense, for I am not homosexual. I am just putting this out there to avoid any confusion.

8. phillyry macrumors newbie

no back button?!

i completely agree!

i've been using a mac for just over a month and absolutely love it too BUT there are certain nuisances, like not having the back button on my mouse go back in a web browser or even when using the system preferences.

if i figure it out i'll try to post back.