Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DevinPitcher

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Michigan, USA, Earth
So, my Wireless Mighty mouse is an amazing mouse. Paid $79 dollars for it, so I wasn't going to let it die when the ball got all torn up after it's long term use.
I didn't feel like cracking open my no longer used wired mouse to confiscate it's ball, so I looked for another solution. I found this small metal marble, the same size as the mighty mouses ball. I put it inside, put the mouse back together, and now I have a unique, working mouse.
I posted some pictures, as I felt it looked cool, and thought i would share the idea with others.

Attachments

• mighty_mouse_ball_01.JPG
    mighty_mouse_ball_01.JPG
    599.4 KB · Views: 140
  • mighty_mouse_ball_02.JPG
    mighty_mouse_ball_02.JPG
    569 KB · Views: 126

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
So, my Wireless Mighty mouse is an amazing mouse. Paid $79 dollars for it, so I wasn't going to let it die when the ball got all torn up after it's long term use.
I didn't feel like cracking open my no longer used wired mouse to confiscate it's ball, so I looked for another solution. I found this small metal marble, the same size as the mighty mouses ball. I put it inside, put the mouse back together, and now I have a unique, working mouse.
I posted some pictures, as I felt it looked cool, and thought i would share the idea with others.

That looks awesome!! So, let me get this straight - the mouse works like a normal mouse, but the new scroll ball still works like the old one did, is that correct?

I definitely think the metal looks way better than the original scroll ball, nicely done!

DevinPitcher

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Michigan, USA, Earth
That looks awesome!! So, let me get this straight - the mouse works like a normal mouse, but the new scroll ball still works like the old one did, is that correct?

I definitely think the metal looks way better than the original scroll ball, nicely done!

Yep. A much smoother scroll than the old ball when it was new. I like it a lot.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Is your unibody under warranty? If so you should have gotten it replaced first then did the mod so it can be all nice n' shiny like.

DevinPitcher

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Michigan, USA, Earth
Is your unibody under warranty? If so you should have gotten it replaced first then did the mod so it can be all nice n' shiny like.

Because the ball was torn up, they said that I must have pushed a fingernail into it or something, so it wasn't covered. A lame excuse, I know, but whatever. I like the metal ball better anyway. :D

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
That is a nice looking mod. I'm curious where you got that metal marble. I wouldn't mind doing this mod should something happen to my trackball.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
No worries :p I figured I'd check anyway. I'll most definitely keep this mod in mind. And who knows, maybe I'll be able to find something suitable if mine ever does kick the bucket. Thanks for posting!

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
You could try a piercing shop? The ball on my lip ring looks a similar size to the scrollball on a Mighty Mouse.

Would they carry perfectly spherical marbles though? Piercings are usually anchored by something, meaning there has to be a hole drilled into the ball. Maybe a hardware store that sells individual ball bearings...

LouisBlack

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
Balham, London
Would they carry perfectly spherical marbles though? Piercings are usually anchored by something, meaning there has to be a hole drilled into the ball. Maybe a hardware store that sells individual ball bearings...

Hmm... I didn't really think about that. I suppose it would make a difference. How about a hardware shop? They sell ball bearings of all different sizes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.