Mighty Mouse Button Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cartman356, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Cartman356 macrumors newbie

So, here's the story. I turned on my imac one day, and i tried to launch safari by clicking the left button ( primary button ) and it launched expose (which is configured or the middle button) so i kept clicking and clicking i tried the right button ( secondary ) and it also launched expose. By this time i am getting fusterated. My side button still works and launches spaces but left, right and middle only do what the middle button is configured too. I have tried taking out the batteries putting new ones in , and disconnecting it from bluetooth. Any suggestions are appreciated .

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Have you checked the preference pane in System Preferences, and is it set correctly?

3. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Faulty mouse is what it sounds like. Is it still under warranty?

4. Cartman356 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. i have everything set correctly, i was forced to use a crappy usb mouse to change my middle button to primary click.

No. the mouse is no longer under warrenty, it worked flawless for almost 2 years and then this problem accured.

5. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Ok well I would try repairing them and reseting anything that can be reset. I am just pulling this out of my rear, but I guess any advice is better than none. Best of luck, hope you can fix it.

EDIT: re-pair as in re connect them.

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you create a new account, does the issue persist?

7. Cartman356 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. This is odd because it was working fine and this just happened

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

So it is a system wide issue. Hmm, if you boot from the OS X install disks does the mouse work correctly?

10. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Don't bother with that. If a restart doesn't fix it, the mouse has failed. Don't bother with messing with the OS.

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You might want to consider reading my post again. I'm not suggesting that they mess with the operating system. I asked if it worked when the computer is booted from the install disks, in other words it takes out all the other variables to see if indeed it is the mouse or not.

12. Cartman356 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have fixed the mouse. I noticed my mighty mouse's scrolling was getting funky so i remembered a trick i learned, turn the mouse off, take some printer paper and turn the mouse upside down and roll it around the paper. not only did a lot of dirt come out of the mouse, the scrolling was fixed along with the the three buttons on the top. Now they all function again like normal, I assume to much dirt got indie the mouse or something. I do that method every few months to clean my scroll ball and it fixed the mouse only using the center buttons click. Well i'm happy that I don't need to run out and spend money on a new mouse. thank you for all the suggestions