Mighty Mouse Button Settings Reset Often in Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Stopsignguy, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Stopsignguy macrumors member

I seem to have a problem with my Mighty Mouse where, after a while, the functions I set to the 3rd and 4th button are reset in the System Preferences\Keyboard & Mouse tab. I would set the scroll wheel button to Expose - All Windows, and the Side Buttons to Expose - Desktop, but after a random amount of time (say 1hr) they revert back to Button 3/Button 4 respectively and do not work.

I do have Leopard and have never had this problem before in Tiger, so I'm assuming it might be a problem with that. I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem?

2. farscape macrumors newbie

I too am having the same problem. Any help would be appreciated.

3. vandlism macrumors 6502

I don't know if you're having this issue too, but my Expose buttons reset on my keyboard after I delete any backups from Time Machine.

4. Stopsignguy thread starter macrumors member

Have you tried reinstalling the Mighty Mouse drivers from the CD? I would try this but my CD's are at home and I am at school now.

I believe a good number of people on these forums have a Mighty Mouse, but there has been only 1 reply with the same problem, meaning it isn't very widespread. Hopefully more people can reply so that this problem can get fixed faster.

5. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

I use a Logitech V270 mouse and it often, and randomly, looses its expose-assigned roles. So it's not just the Mighty Mouse that this happens with, some type of expose problem.

6. mpw Guest

I never even bothered to load any drivers. Perhaps I should cause mine also re-sets, but I'm still using Tiger?

What bothers me is when, say the right click, stops working and I visit the Sys.Pref. window all the buttons appear to be correctly set as right-click, click etc., but you still have to visit the Sys. Pref. window before those settings will 'take'. I don't have to change anything, just open and close the bloody window.:mad:

7. farscape macrumors newbie

I just tested this and this seems to be when I am losing my expose and dashboard settings on my Might Mouse.

Whenever I delete a backup in Time Machine the settings for the 3rd and 4th button on the Mighty Mouse get reset.

How do I inform Apple of this problem. There doesn't seem to be any easy way to do this through their website.

8. smotto macrumors newbie

Same Button 4 Issue

I've been having the same problem with my wireless MM. It started shortly after I bought it and it only seems to affect my Button 4 settings (I have it set to expose). At first, I assumed I was simply doing something wrong...afterall, technology can be limited by the knowledge of its user ;) However, it's now been going on for months and it resets itself daily. It doesn't seem to matter if my computer is restarted or if the display or disk is put to sleep -- it happens in all of these situations. I tried re-installing the cd to no avail. Any other suggestions? Did the cd re-install work for anyone else?

9. nursekato macrumors newbie

Yes,
    I too have had this problem. Mine sounds to be a bit less often, perhaps once every month. Only has done it since upgrading to Leopard.

10. apsurdium macrumors newbie

I have exact same problem with Time Machine

"Whenever I delete a backup in Time Machine the settings for the 3rd and 4th button on the Mighty Mouse get reset" as farscape said.

Anybody have solution for this? Also, my customized keyboard shortcuts are reseted...

11. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

My Mighty Mouse frequently forgets everything (expose, right click, dashboard). I am on a PB running leopard and to fix it all I have to do is go to the mouse settings in the System Preferences and without selecting anything it magically works normally. Hmmmm

12. adnansiddiqui24 macrumors newbie

yup me too

ya this happened to me, and i just verified that it does in fact happen every time i delete a backup. theres supposed to be a massive update coming out soon, lets hope this is fixed in there too.

13. orangetrumpeter macrumors member

Had that happen last evening for the first time with my wireless MightyMouse. I reset the setting to what they were and it has been fine so far. No idea, HOW it happened.

14. Hugo-za macrumors newbie

Losing settings on MX Revolution

Hi Guys. I have also noticed that the settings for Expose and Dashboard reandomly "get lost". I am using the Steermouse drivers as the Logitech software does not work under 10.5.1 (at least not on my C2D iMac).

15. mojoxp macrumors member

I'm having similar issues with my Logitech MX Revolution and Leopard, never had them using Tiger.

16. dhill00 macrumors newbie

I too am having all my Expose' and Dashboard settings disappear randomly. I never thought about it being caused by Time Machine. Hopefully they will fix it soon. It is very annoying.

17. Hugo-za macrumors newbie

I don't think that this is a problem that relates to/is caused by TimeMachine as I don't use it. It is switched off in the Control Panel. Yet the settings sill disappear randomly.

18. adnansiddiqui24 macrumors newbie

still happening

well no matter the cause...for me it seems to be after time machine back up deletes, its still happening for me even after i updated to 10.5.2. hopefully tehres a fix out there for this somewhere

19. farscape macrumors newbie

I too am still having this issue after installing 10.5.2. It is definitely related to the deleting of backups in Time Machine. I too hope they fix it in the next update.

20. phoxrenvatio macrumors regular

my mighty mouse messes with coverflow, it starts scrolling when you move the mouse (regularly) mainly in iTunes...

21. wilyliam macrumors newbie

Just wanted to throw in - I'm having this exact same problem ... it's been going on since I got my iMac, with Leopard. I've never used Tiger ... and I'm letting Time Machine do whatever it wants on automatic ...

All the updates so far for Leopard haven't changed it ... I lose my Dashboard and Expose shortcuts on the Mighty Mouse, seemingly at random ...

22. morwen macrumors newbie

expose settings disappear

I don't think it relates to external mice drivers or Time Machine backups being deleted.

I don't use an external mouse and I've never deleted any of my Time Machine backups. Randomly my dashboard will appear, but nothing in it is usable, as though everything is locked up. And randomly, hitting F12 does nothing and I go look and all my expose key settings are gone.

Update: okay, I mentioned this expose weirdness to someone else, who said this is a WoW bug. Do the rest of you play WoW or have any other programs you run that assign commands to the F9-F12 keys?

23. twig macrumors member

I had this problem for the first time yesterday (expose settings for 3rd and 4th mouse buttons disappeared). It happened immediately after I deleted a file (actually a folder of .avi movies) from a time machine backup). This was the first time I've deleted anything from time machine and also the first time experiencing the mouse button problem. I've never played WoW, so it's not that. I can't think of any other 3rd party apps I might have installed that would assign anything to the function keys, but I suppose there might be something.

24. Hugo-za macrumors newbie

This is frustrating...

Ok so it seems that there are three theories about this whole thing:

1) Deleting TimeMachine backups loses the mouse settings.
    2) WoW has something to do with it.
    3) External (non-apple) mouse hardware has something to do with it.

Two of the three are applicable to me as I do play WoW and i do use a Logitech mouse. I don't use TimeMachine.

Has any one maybe raised this issue with the folks over at Apple?

25. seh80 macrumors 6502

seh80

I wanted to add that I'm having the same problem. I'm on a one day old refurb and haven't set time machine up yet, but I have been playing WoW and it does (after testing) seem to be related.