Mighty Mouse buttons not customizable

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ecdunn, Jan 1, 2009.

1. ecdunn macrumors newbie

I received a wireless Mighty Mouse for Christmas, and just today I decided to try customizing the buttons. I open up Mouse Preferences, and when I try to change the function of any button, it doesn't work. I can click the drop down menu to change button 3 or button 4 to Spaces, or one of the expose functions, but when I use the buttons, they still do (what I assume are) the default functions -- button 4 allows me to go back in my browser, and button 3 (the ball) allows me to move the mouse to scroll the page. The only button I can change the function of is the default secondary button -- I can make this button do anything I want, but not the others, including the primary button.

Any suggestions? Or do I need to send it back to Apple?

2. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

What do you want the other buttons to do? You can click on other and then click on an application to open it. The buttons are not fully customizable.

Touch-sensitive technology under Mighty Mouse’s seamless top shell detect where you’re clicking, transforming your sleek, one-button mouse into a two-button wonder. But the innovation doesn’t end there. Apple engineers added force-sensing buttons on either side of Mighty Mouse that let you squeeze the mouse, activating Mac OS X Dashboard, Exposé or a whole host of other, customizable features — instantly.

To program Mighty Mouse, simply open the Keyboard & Mouse preference pane in Mac OS X System Preferences. There you’ll see drop-down button menus, plus tracking, scrolling, screen zoom and double-clicking controls. Choose your primary and secondary button designation. Reassign which applications you want to open with Mighty Mouse. Customize your scrolling capability. Mighty Mouse’s preferences are as easy to manage and as versatile as Mighty Mouse itself, so your mouse works the way you do — not the other way around.

--Eric

3. ecdunn thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to use Button 3 or Button 4 to open Expose or Spaces, which are options in the drop-down menu in my Keyboard & Mouse System Preferences. But when I select Expose for Button 4, for example, when I press button 4, it does not perform the Expose function -- rather, it continues to act as a back button in Firefox or does nothing at all. The same goes for Button 3 (the scroll ball) -- it continues to allow me to move the mouse to scroll, but does not do whatever function I assign to it.

I've gone into System Preferences, but when I select functions, the mouse doesn't perform those functions.

4. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

5. ecdunn thread starter macrumors newbie

Not immediately, but yes, I have since restarted and the problem still persists.

6. BulletToothTony macrumors 6502

BulletToothTony

hey did you ever get this fixed.. ?? it's very weird.. When i'm under the System Preferences and i change buttons.. the changes happen automatically.. i don't even have to close the window.. let us know what did you end up doing..

Did you get it replace??

7. ecdunn thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it turned out that USB overdrive was messing with it. I tried deleting it, but apparently I had to use the uninstaller in utilities. I got it working though :D