mighty mouse covered by warranty?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iainr, May 8, 2008.

1. iainr macrumors newbie

Hi, i bought an aluminium iMac last summer and my bluetooth mighty mouse which came with it has completely stopped scrolling. I've looking into different suggestions of how to clean it and none solved the problem, in fact it got worse. So is the mouse covered by the year warranty that comes with the imac, and if so how can i go about getting it replaced (in the UK)
    Thanks

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Hi,

Call Apple, they replaced a wired one that came with an iMac for me last year. They'll ask you to rub it upside down on some paper for a while first - assuming that doesn't fix your problem they should send out a new one.

3. azjosho macrumors newbie

it US it is covered - i have heard of people exchanging their mouse a few times.

fyi- I thought for sure my mouse was dead - i took a lightly damp wash cloth and pressed hard while rolling the ball around for a few minutes and it works like new now

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

5. iainr thread starter macrumors newbie

does anyone know the number that i should call to try and get a replacement? I tried the online service assistant here https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do
    but it wont accept my serial number. If i can't manage to get a replacement then i guess i'll take it apart and try and clean it, thanks for that kkat69

6. iainr thread starter macrumors newbie

heres the latest: i spent a good 5 minutes rolling the mouse around on a cloth as advised by apple but that didnt sort the scrolling problem. What it did manage to do though was turn all 3 mouse buttons into the middle button, whenever i clicked any of the buttons it just opened dashboard.

I ignored this and took the mouse apart to clean it which i managed to do fine apart from some nice scratches on the underneath of it, not to worry though you can't see them when using it. Now the scrolling works like new but the buttons still all act like the middle button!

Has anyone come across this problem before? If i turn middle button to off then the left button only will work, but turning it back on just returns all 3 buttons to being the middle button again.

Its not critical as ive just ordered a logitech v470 to replace it, but if nyone could help me sort it that would be a bonus

7. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

sounds like something messed up the small circuitry in there.
    what i usually do to clean my mice, is to get a disinfecting wipe lay that on hard surface and scroll the mouse upside down for awhile each direction then put right backup and use it to clean some more, let the wipe dry and bit and when its dried out not damp, it can dry up the rest of the mouse and the scroll work slike new,

the problem with cloths are htyere too bulky for the small scrollball.
    even micrfibres just help push the dirt and gunk around.

and yes the apple mouse is covered under warranty.
    mine inadvertently stopped working and they do a cross shipment.

1-800-APL-CARE

8. iainr thread starter macrumors newbie

i got my logitech v470 today and i absolutely love it. Such an improvement over the mighty mouse, i definitely recommend it to anyone. It goes perfectly with my imac, bye bye mighty mouse and your daft scroll ball

9. Geek 2.0 macrumors member

All that "cleaning" my mighty mouse did was totally eliminate scrolling... A good 10 minutes, and a lot of surprise (cat hair does not do a mighty mouse justice) and now it doesn't work at all.

yay for warranty

It doesn't matter, I use my Wacom tablet full time anyway