Mighty Mouse Covered Under AppleCare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kuebby, Nov 24, 2007.

1. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

The scroll wheel on my BT MM finally seems to have died. My MacBook Pro is still covered under warranty, would that cover the MM as well?

2. kflook macrumors member

I'm not sure how that would work, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

We've had mice die at work that came with the computer, and they've replaced them. But since that mouse didn't come with the computer I dunno...

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

If the mouse came with the computer (iMac or Mac Pro) then most likely, with a MBP though I doubt it.

But, you can just pop the scroll wheel off and wipe it down with rubbing alcohol. That cleans it up nicely so the sensor can read it.

4. kuebby thread starter macrumors 68000

kuebby

How do I pop the wheel out?

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

You need to open the mouse up. Really it's not that tough though. Search around and you can find step by step pictures. You'll basically need a flat blade screwdriver, a small phillips screwdriver and some superglue (to put it back together). I've done it many times on the Mighty Mouse I bought 2+ years ago, and it's still working (using it now).

6. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Accessories come with their own 12 month warranties.

7. kuebby thread starter macrumors 68000

kuebby

That's what I found searching online but it looks like a pain, and being that I'm at college I have none of the required tools (except a small phillips head, but I don't even know if that's the right size).

I actually already ordered a replacement mouse (MX Revolution) but having a working MM as well would just be nice.

8. KiDFuZioN macrumors newbie

Check the serial on the apple support site and if it says it's still covered then just take it into the Apple Store and they should replace it on the spot.

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

http://web.mac.com/karelgil/iWeb/MacWebSite/MightyMEng.html

Exacto knife can be bought at several places (wal mart for one) and the small flat head and philips you can get as a set. It's not that hard. I didn't even bother to see if mine was covered under Applecare, I just nuked it apart and cleaned it. Still works like a champ.