Mighty Mouse design

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AustinD, Feb 12, 2008.

1. AustinD macrumors regular

When is apple ever going to redesign the mouse?
    Most likely not a features update but the actual shell of the mouse has gone unchanged for years. Anyone else find this odd?

2. thesdx macrumors 6502a

I actually like the mighty mouse. I just wish the scroll nub wouldn't get clogged so easily.

3. tsincaat macrumors member

I don't think it's high on their list. I'll say that the mouse looks very nice, I'm not sure what they'd change design wise besides changing the scroll wheel so it doesn't get gummed up, though that could be boosting mouse sales for them.

4. AustinD thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, those were quick replies, thanks for caring :].

I personally love the mighty mouse, its sleek and slender and I've had no trouble with it yet(except the right click is a bit hit and miss).
    But, the white imac turned aluminum, the white plastic keyboard turned aluminum, and the front row remote is still white plastic along with the mighty mouse.

Aluminum airport/remote/mouse updates sometime? Its a small detail yes, but apple is not one to overlook anything.

5. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Make an easy way to take the little scroll ball out to clean and the mouse would be a winner. As it is it is a piece of junk once it gets dirty.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

7. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

The only thing I would like to see on the Mighty Mouse is a back button. Web surfing is so much easier with a back button!

8. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I'm sorry, I disagree with "if it ain't broke don't fix it" at least in this case because the Mighty Mouse *is* 'broke' imo. I really wish Apple would swallow their pride and put a few screws on the bottom and not seal the damned thing. The only way to 'clean' the ball is by turning it upside down and rolling it on something upside down (that's what Apple say). Unfortunately, doing this repeatedly ends up in the mouse internals dying.

9. porg1969 macrumors newbie

mighty mouse

I would actually LOVE to see Apple come out with another wireless keyboard that has a built in touch mouse pad, so when i am sitting there o i don't have to sit back up and scroll with a mouse instead just use my fingers right on the keyboard.....also if they included a .com button on the keyboard!

10. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

In my opinion, all of Apple's mice are broken. When are they going to realize people want TWO buttons on a mouse, and PHYSICAL buttons too.

I know lots of people who see the one button on the trackpad as another reason to not buy a Mac notebook.

Also, I think Apple has made their mice to be more visually appealing than useful. The reason they put a sensor in the Mighty Mouse instead of a physical right button is because they didn't want any lines on the top of the mouse. If they'd just get off their obsession with making things look as visually attractive as possible and try to make their mice more functional, I might actually buy another Apple mouse.

This is all coming from a person who bought a wireless Mighty Mouse two months ago and just replaced it with a new Logitech mouse. At least Logitech knows how to make good mice. Now only if they'd make good drivers for OS X. I'll stick with SteerMouse for now. The only thing I really liked about the Mighty Mouse was the scroll ball, but even that has its drawbacks (getting gunked up).

11. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I've gone through 7 of those dang MMs (but I do have to say Apple have been very good in replacing them). The MM is complete rubbish and therefore it needs a complete overhaul.

12. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I'd like to see an aluminum MM, that'd be sweet.

13. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

I like it a lot. I even use them on Windows PCs! Apple can't make everyone happy.

14. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I'd be perfectly happy if they just let me clean the ball.

Edit: If they really want to make it smooth and sealed with glue then they should just make the whole top end of the mouse be a highly sensitive touch area, sensitive enough that you wouldn't need a mouse ball, you'd just scroll your finger on the mouse in the right area.

15. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Whats the process of having it replaced? Mine scroll ball dies about once a week and its really getting annoying cleaning it (and even sometimes it still doesnt work).

16. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I had one after another die on me, the first I needed to replace within 2 weeks of buying my new 20" iMac.

The same issues kept coming up, the the scroller stopped working and then the buttons... Basically I went through a mouse a week.

The first MM that stuffed up on me I ended up calling Apple where I sent it to them and they sent me a replacement.

But seriously save yourself the time and effort just throw it out and buy a Razer Diamondback mouse because the MM is absolute rubbish.

17. ascender macrumors 68000

18. juanm macrumors 65816

But "If it's dirty, clean it"

By default, when you just don't write the .com, Safari writes it automatically. try typing "gizmodo" and press enter. ;)

It'd be cool, but also cold... And who wants cold hands?