Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've had my Mighty Mouse for three days now, and on several occasions it has detected a left-click as a right-click. It doesn't happen every time - it's comparatively rare, but it's still happened several times in a few days. Has this happened to anyone else or is my mouse faulty?

applemax

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2005
Check the preferences and make sure it's in 'right-handed' mode instead of 'left-handed' mode. This is the most obvious reason.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
If that was the case, then it'd happen every single time rather than intermittently.

nuclearwinter

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
Milky Way
Nermal said:
I've had my Mighty Mouse for three days now, and on several occasions it has detected a left-click as a right-click. It doesn't happen every time - it's comparatively rare, but it's still happened several times in a few days. Has this happened to anyone else or is my mouse faulty?

Its because the Mighty Mouse is really just a mighty disappointment. You have to lift your finger off the right button whilst clicking the left button to ensure a left click everytime. Its because of the touch sensors beneath the shell. To be honest, I have one and I hate the thing. The only redeeming feature that keeps me using it is the absolutely fantastic scroll ball. I can't seem to use those tilt-wheel mice as effectively. Otherwise, the Mighty Mouse is a usability nightmare.

hhlee

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
Nermal said:

Are you trying to click between the two rapidly? I haven't gotten the hang of it too well when switching between left and right click fast. I still like the mouse - for some reason, I always lift my left click finger when I right click....

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
nuclearwinter said:
You have to lift your finger off the right button whilst clicking the left button to ensure a left click everytime. Its because of the touch sensors beneath the shell.

Don't they actually bother to test this sort of thing before selling? :eek:

I've switched back to my old mouse now.

hhlee said:
Are you trying to click between the two rapidly?

Nope.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Update: They're sending me a new mouse, it should arrive tomorrow. Hopefully it'll work better :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I tried one in the Apple store and it would never right-click, no matter what I did.

Glad you're getting a replacement.

hhlee

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
plinkoman said:
it set by default to only be one button

yeah. i wondered why they'd do that when the big hullabaloo was that it would do both...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
hhlee said:
yeah. i wondered why they'd do that when the big hullabaloo was that it would do both...

Sounds like a joke to me or someone having his way secretly despite opposition. Then again, Mac OS X ships with the firewall off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.