Mighty mouse driving me nuts...MX revolution the solution?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ri0ku, Nov 29, 2009.

1. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Ok so...I do 3D modelling with my macbook pro and its starting to get irratating how much the mighty mouse ball fails... so im looking for a new mouse, iv seen the logitech MX revolution and allot of people say its the best wireless mouse available get it! but... i have one thing thats putting me off about it.. its the micro usb reciever (which I believe is bluetooth) I dont want to take up 1 of the 2 usb ports on my mbp... all the time.

My questions are.. do you guys think I should get this logitech MX revolution?

and

Will the mouse connect to the internal bluetooth built into the macbook pro? (I know that sounds abit stupid but iv been reading that people have mentioned they cannot get it to connect to internal bluetooth in there laptops)

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE:
    "... i have one thing thats putting me off about it.. its the micro usb reciever (which I believe is bluetooth) I dont want to take up 1 of the 2 usb ports on my mbp... all the time."

I don't believe the receiver that the MX Revolution uses is Bluetooth. You need the receiver to use the mouse; that is to say, it won't run using the Mac's built-in Bluetooth.

Don't worry about the USB port. Get the Logitech mouse, you won't be disappointed with it. It's very good.

3. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I've tried a LOT of mice ...

The best I've found so far is the Logitec Anywhere mouse, it's very very precise and comfortable for long periods of use.

It's a USB mouse but the dongle is really small.

4. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I gave up on Logitech mice. They just don't last.

I'm hoping my new Magic mouse will be as good
    as I've heard.

5. Stratoukos macrumors member

Definitely get the MX Revolution. It's the best mouse I've ever had. It has 8 programmable buttons and I have mapped dashboard, spaces, expose show all, expose show application, expose show desktop and middle click (which is critical in 3D applications) so I can navigate to anything in my mac with a press of a button. The biggest advantage is the wheel. You can set it to be analog (like the mighty mouse). Some people hate it but I simply can't imagine using a regular mouse wheel. Plus you can map the buttons on a per application basis, so if you have an app that needs a weird keystroke often then you can just put it on your mouse.

6. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I love the the MX Revolution. I have two at home and one at work. As far as Bluetooth, it's kind of weird. The stand alone version isn't Bluetooth. I have the Logitech MX5500 keyboard/mouse combo at work, which includes the MX Revolution, and it is Bluetooth. I suppose the Bluetooth transmitter is in the keyboard in that setup. The new version of the MX Revolution isn't bad either. (I forget the name.)

7. VavaDeMac macrumors newbie

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Try cleaning the ball. MM always worked for me. I don't recommend the MX Revolution because of the USB dongle and build quality. Logitech mice just don't last as another poster said. I tried a few of them before giving up and asking for a refund. The hyper scroll wheel just has way too many problems. You can customize the buttons, it doesn't make up for the abysmal quality of the mouse itself. The laser tracking engine is one of the best, but the side grips feel like the really cheap kind of plastic, unlike the MM plastic housing. I've dropped the MM more than 4 times from chest height, somehow the plastic housing isn't scratched.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I've used mine for 7 hours a day for the last 3 years. Still going strong, and still haven't found a better alternative.

10. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

I have to use the MM in school for 3Ds(bootcamp) and Maya.
    The problem is not only the scroll ball, the bigger issue is that you need a right mouse button and a middle mouse button - and finding those on a MM can get frustrating.

At home I'm using a MS Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 and it is the best mouse I ever had!

11. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

huh?

left of ball = left click
    right of ball = right click
    ball = middle click

Cant stand the mightM myself, but my designers love them?

Ii use a razer mouse myself, with their matching mousepad... clean and smooth for many years

Could never get used to wireless mice, they are just too "heavy" with the batteries in...

oh, and FWIW, like the others have said, the MX does *not* use the Apple bluetooth, you will lose a USB port...

12. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I have a MX Revolution and love it. Judging whether the lost USB port is worth it depends on your uses. Hubs are cheap and easy, but that might be a pain if your laptop is used primarily for portability.

13. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

If it would be that easy with a MM that has been used for some time. ;)
    Also the shape of the MM is something I cannot get used to - feels unnatural to me.
    I have to try one of those new MagicMs one day still.

14. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

Another one here who loves the MX Revolution. One thing you do need to be careful of is on the right side, where your last two fingers rest, there's a textured surface applied on top of the plastic. Once you scratch this surface and it tears, you'll have to pull off all the texture-y stuff or it will be very uncomfortable (and look strange).

Not sure if that made any sense...

15. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Really? The right/left click buttons won't work if your finger is resting on other button. Say, my index finger is resting on the left part of the top shell and I want to right click. You have to lift the index finger and right click otherwise it won't register as a right click.