Mighty Mouse hurts my hand

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Thunderbird8, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Thunderbird8 macrumors regular

Thunderbird8

I have been using computers with mice for a good 15 years now and my right hand is getting a bit worn out. The last year or so it has got progressively worse (nothing too serious I hope, just uncomfortable and a bit stiff at the moment) and I was wondering if anyone can suggest a good 'ergonomic' alternative to the mighty mouse that medically has some merit.

Thanks.

2. Arn1499 macrumors member

3. Thunderbird8 thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderbird8

Thanks, there are some bizarre alternatives out there too, I am currently investigating!

4. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

Have you considered switching over to a tablet, or perhaps a trackball mouse?

5. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I use a Logitech MX-518 and its perfect. Its large enough to be comfy but not too large to feel bulky. Pretty much any Logitech mouse is going to be a good choice.

6. Thunderbird8 thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderbird8

Yes Baggy Spandex I have, I am looking into all options as I don't want a withered hand by the time I'm 50!

7. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I really think your best bet is to go to a local electronics/computer store that has all of their mices out and play with them.

Here in the states we have stores like Best Buy, Staples or Office Max that have all of their mice displayed and you can get a feeling for what you like. I've spent way too much time and money purchasing mice online only to find out with-in 5 minutes it is too small, too big or just doesn't feel right.

Helpful hint: bring along some hand sanitizer to use after you've played with the mice. :)

8. 1ne macrumors regular

I bought the MM today. Used it for 1 hour and the top of my forearm hurt so bad. I am returning it. It's just not for me in terms of comfort.

Back to the VX Nano

Mice + Computers =Almost 30 years

Attached Files:

9. Thunderbird8 thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderbird8

I tried the Logitech MX1100 today and I like that one. It is pretty big but that's OK.

10. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

I don't really like any of the Mac mice. Have used many kinds and prefer Logitech.

Logitech V470 bluetooth is nice if you want wireless and I like V150 for USB (it doesn't run out of batteries).

11. simplemind macrumors member

UT (for the time being, cant leave soon enough)
    hmmm, I have been using the wireless Mighty Mouse for almost a year and I really like it, from the sounds of it, I am defiantly in the minority around here.

12. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I heard it was good to switch mice every now and then to work different muscles and avoid repetitive stress on any one area. At work I have a Logitech MX 1100 that is very comfortable but when my arm starts to get sore I switch over to a Logitech marble mouse for a few weeks, then back. The Marble Mouse is nice, but it takes quite a while to get used to it.

At home I use the mighty mouse or a trackpad if its my laptop. Switching up devices keeps me relatively pain/stiffness free. I am only 21, but I use computers every day, all day at work, and have used computers frequently for a good 7 years now.

13. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

My favorite is still the Logitech Revolution VX.
    [​IMG]
    My hands are on the smaller side, so this mouse doesn't feel too big but is still ergonomically shaped. I'd say its more like a 3/4 size mouse instead of the typical 1/2 to 2/3 size notebook mouses.

14. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

It may not be the mouse. A few years ago, my wife was developing serious hand and wrist pain from mousing, and we found that switching her to a mousepad with a gel wrist pad cleared up the problem, as it forced her to flatten out her wrist into a more neutral position. Something to consider.

Nevertheless, the MM is certainly NOT the most ergonomic mouse available, so changing out your mouse could help, too.