Mighty Mouse issues...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bendy Walker, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Bendy Walker macrumors regular

Bendy Walker

My wired Mighty Mouse has started behaving really strangely these past few days. The cursor will only move a short distance, and then jump around erratically.

I think I know what the problem is - the surface I am on (which has become quite worn away and shiny since I've been using the mouse on it), and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a suitable material to use the mouse on? I've tried a few mouse mats I have, but the mouse won't work on them at all.

2. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

I found a cheap Black foam no reflective one from PC world, cost like £2, best mat ive ever used, and the MM loves it ;)

3. zaney macrumors regular

You might want to try cleaning it. I know the whole point of optical mice is that you dont need to clean it anymore, but if you get a big bit of dust, or a hair lying the wrong way across the sensor it'll throw it off. I've got a laser mouse, which is supposedly even better, but a hair got stuck under once, and it stopped moving horizontally, and would only move vertically. Until I found the hair and removed it.
    Stupid thing.

4. advocation macrumors member

mine started doing that earlier tonight, I thought it was the battery so I checked that, but it was still on the green.
    I turned it off and on again and it seemed to work fine..

5. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I use a regular white piece of paper. It doesn't collect dust like my desk would. And it doubles as a notepad. :)

I double the paper so it doesn't make the hard scraping noise when i had it on the desk.

6. zaney macrumors regular

Maybe the hair fell off when you picked it up to turn it off :p

Not a bad idea, I'm always looking about for something to scribble notes on, and I really can't be bothered with a mouse pad.