Mighty Mouse, Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RossJamieson, Dec 27, 2010.

1. RossJamieson macrumors newbie

RossJamieson

I recently got a preowned iMac which came with the Apple Wired Keyboard (with numeric keypad) and a Logitech mouse. Ive always been a fan of the idea of the Mighty Mouse even although it is old, the Magic Mouse looks really classy and cool but I do do a lot of graphic design and I am on the Mac quite a lot and I have heard it can get rather uncomfortable. And the Magic Trackpad, I am honestly not too sure about at all, what do you guys think would be best for me? I am a new Mac user so I am unsure what would be best for different features, thanks :)

RossJamieson
    http://www.twitter.com/Ross_Jamieson

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I love my Magic Mouse and it was a huge improvement over the Mighty Mouse

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I am not a fan of the Magic Mouse. It's too difficult to right-click with it, plus its shape is hard for my hands to wrap around comfortably.

4. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

A regular PC mouse (Mighty Mouse scroll wheel dies FAST and Magic Mouse is waaay too cumbersome for Adobe apps.) with a Magic Trackpad. The trackpad is great to compliment a mouse, but not a replacement.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Mighty Mouse <<<< Magic Mouse <<< Magic Trackpad

However, it comes down to personal preference.

6. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

I completely agree. I use my magic trackpad for all day to day uses, but switch to a regular mouse for things that require a great deal of precision.

7. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

The scroll ball on the mighty mouse doesn't die fast, it just gets dirty fast, meaning you'll have to clean it regularly, which can get cumbersome.

From my experience, the magic mouse has been a vast improvement over the mighty mouse. The right click on the magic mouse is way easier than the mighty mouse, and way more accurate-- I dare say nearly as accurate as a mouse with dedicated right and left clicks. The scrolling on the magic mouse is a vast improvement over the magic mouse, and with all things considered, it's been my best scrolling experience on a mouse thus far. The only thing people should question about the magic mouse is its form factor, but I personally have not had any issues with it. In fact I think it's more comfortable than some of those oversized ergonomic mice for pc users.

The magic trackpad is garbage. That is my strong opinion of-course.

8. josh1231 macrumors regular

I got the trackpad from my wife, for my birthday. I would never tell her this :), but I wouldn't buy it again. It greatly hurts my wrists when I use it because of the akward angle it forces you to use.

Your wrist is pretty flat when using a mouse, but the trackpad is sloped up, causing your wrist to be sloped up. I've never been one to care anything about ergonomics, but the trackpad really hurts my wrist.

9. RossJamieson thread starter macrumors newbie

RossJamieson

Thanks everyone for all your help, You all have great arguments so for now i'll stick with the mouse I have and maybe buy the Magic Mouse to use sometimes and use my Logitech mouse for designing, thanks again :)

RossJamieson

10. telemark948 macrumors member

The trackpad is fantastic, I don't even switch the mouse on. It took about a week to get use to it, now I can't go back. The magic mouse for me seems a little small....:)

11. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

I am a graphic designer and use the Magic Mouse with Illustrator/Photoshop every day; it is by far the best mouse I have ever used.

I appreciate that peoples' hands are different shapes/sizes but I cannot relate to either of these comments at all.

12. zedsdead macrumors 68040

I like having both around, the mouse for more precise tasks, and the trackpad for more creative (such as in Pages when you can rotate, pinch, etc...)

13. brandon.8602 macrumors member

As an owner of both the magic and mighty mouse (both wireless) I like the slimmer profile of the magic mouse and the use of touch motions (magic) as opposed to the scroll ball (mighty) and have not found the magic mouse uncomfortable.

I haven't tried the magic trackpad, but seeing how you do a lot of graphic design I don't see it as much of an option for you.

14. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

I know about the paper trick, but eventually it stops working and the ball actually dies :-(

15. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Mighty Mouse = scroll ball wears out somewhat quickly (for scrolling down) & right-click less reliable than Magic Mouse.

Magic Mouse = big improvement for right-click and scrolling (obviously, given multitouch driven) but took some time to get used to not having button options for Expose and Dashboard given no buttons on sides or scroll ball as button.

Magic Trackpad = use for most day to day tasks so most of the time. Limited for some functions. Great device but you will still need a mouse. Combo of Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse works great.

16. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

How long have you had it? I've used to use a mighty mouse on my old G5 iMac for 5 years about 8-10 hours per day and the scroll ball is still working just fine, but of course it needs a good cleaning after every 5 days or so.

17. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

I guess it lasted about two years of heavy usage; near the end I needed to clean it every day just to get it moving on the y-axis, before it gave up the ghost entirely.

18. bdeitemeyer macrumors member

I've had all three, and despite my using the Magic Trackpad solely now...I wish I still had my Magic Mouse. The Magic Trackpad isn't nearly as comfortable for everyday prolonged use...

If you do go with the MT, consider this pricey but clever accessory: http://www.bullettrain.com/express.html

19. threeputt macrumors member

I use both the magic mouse and magic trackpad. For most things I am finding myself using the trackpad more and more.

20. RossJamieson thread starter macrumors newbie

RossJamieson

Surely that must get annoying? Every five days? How do you clean it exactly? :)

RossJamieson

21. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Scrubbed it really hard with very diluted cleaner. And yes it got tiresome, which is why I use my magic mouse now.

22. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Go for the magic mouse, you won't be disappointed.

23. Fongstarr macrumors newbie

Whatever you do, don't get the Mighty Mouse. There have been known issues that the track ball breaks after a while (as did mine). Even when you look at the reviews on it on Apple.com, it got mostly negative ones because of the track ball.

Get the Magic Mouse.

24. RossJamieson thread starter macrumors newbie

RossJamieson

How long have you had yours? Experienced any problems at all?

25. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Magic Mouse + Magicdriver FTW.

I much prefer the Magic Mouse to my Logitech MX Revolution. In fact, the only thing I keep the Logitech around for anymore is gaming in Windows 7.