Mighty Mouse - Middle Click Busted

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nakile, Jul 29, 2008.

1. nakile macrumors regular

I've had my Mighty Mouse since November when I got my Mac. I've had the scroll ball stop working a few times, but I've manage to fix the problem by cleaning it by pushing down on a piece of paper and running the ball over it.

But in the past few months, the ability to middle click with the scroll ball has failed. The mouse still scrolls up and down, but I can't middle click. When using Safari, I have to hold down Command to open a link as a new tab as apposed to simply clicking the scroll wheel. I also use a graphics program that required a three button mouse. Without the 3rd mouse button, I have to use this awkward keyboard combo that really cuts down on productivity.

From what I understand, Apple won't give me phone support because I'm over the 90 day limit. But would they allow this as an exception because Mighty Mouse problems are very common? The nearest Apple Store is a few hours away and that's too far to go to get a mouse replaced.

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Call applecare and tell them and don't answer any of the prelem questions and an operator will answer, tell them you need to talk to someone about your apple mighty mouse. if you're still within a year, i think you will be fine. Just be ready with the serial # from your mouse.
    Alternatively, you could offer the serial number to your computer if its still under applecare and tell them you bought the mouse with the computer. Tell them you've tried all of the suggestions etc, they should replace it. You might have to be less than polite to get it done, but they offered a 1 year warranty with it, no reason you can't use it.

3. operator207 macrumors 6502

Your probably like me, you have a hair, or spot of dust under the ball.

The middle click is triggered by you pushing on the ball, it making contact with a switch it sits on, then you pushing the entire mouse down, making the click.

If one of the switches does not work, it does not make the click.

In my case, it was an eye lash that was between the connections of the switch under the ball.

If you can get it replaced or repaired by Apple for free, cool. If not, you now know where to look to fix it.