Mighty Mouse - need to push the button to scroll

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jakaj, May 3, 2007.

1. jakaj macrumors member

Hi,

I just got a Mighty mouse and I noticed I have to push the scroll ball a little in order for it to pick up the rotation.

It's quite annoying, since very light scrolls don't get detected.

Can anyone please confirm if this happens to you too, or is it just my mouse.

Regards,
    Jaka

2. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

I just got my Mighty Mouse last week, and I mine doesn't have that problem. Simply scroll...I don't need to press it down...it might just be your mouse?

Edit: After really paying attention, I guess I have to push it down *slightly*, but I have to do that with pretty much all scroll wheels?

3. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i think i noticed that too. but it doesn't bother me a bit. you need to apply sufficient normal force (N) to the ball to create enough friction force (Ff) (remember, Ff = µ * N). and that normal force is more than necessary for the mouse to register

4. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Man, who knew that a thread about Mighty Mouse could be turned into the daily science lesson? :p Way to nerd it up for us :p, we need a little bit of knowledge since we're wasting our whole day on here :D

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You really shouldn't have to press to get it to scroll. If you get a bit of dirt trapped inside, it may then require a little pressure. Clean the mouse by turning it upside down on a clean surface and rolling the ball gently around.

6. jakaj thread starter macrumors member

The weight is more than enough for it to register the movement. The problem occurs, however, when I have my finger _above_ the scroll ball and am just starting to move it downward.

At that time, I'm not pushing the button perpendicularly "into" the mouse, but am rather moving it in parallel to the surface, and the movement of the ball doesn't get detected.

That way, each time I lightly scroll downwards, a bit of the movement at the beginning of my scroll gets missed.

7. jakaj thread starter macrumors member

Ok, one more thing...

I can't right-click if I'm touching the mouse with my left finger. In order to right-click, I have to completely lift my left finger, or the click will be detected as a left-click.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

That is normal behaviour. Just something you have to get used to.

9. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

The weight of what? The weight of that little button is so small that the spring in there easily pushes it all the way up, so the ball doesn't move around (or even better, get lost) in the Mighty Mouse. Therefore it has to go down a little bit for the mouse to register that something is happening to it. and that's the first level. The second level is detected as you really pressing on it, which lead to Dashboard or whatever you chose.

i'm quite sure that is the normal behavior of the mouse. And that has nothing to do with the dirt trapped inside. When you have dirt trapped inside, you will feel the button no longer move as smoothly, but pushing it harder into the mouse won't solve the problem either.

But yes, you really shouldn't have to press it all the way in there, and I didn't say that either.

If you have ever had dirt trapped inside of your Mighty Mouse, you would have known that.

10. wangchunggti337 macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

My mouse actually does this exact same thing. The scroll ball has must reach the threshold of friction to induce scrolling.

I then am able to reach a proper tangential acceleration with the radius of the scroll ball and angular velocity omega.

But seriously, haha, my mouse does that too.

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have a MM so, yes, I have had dirt trapped inside. It is a design issue with all MM and something that I have come to accept and live with. I never have had to apply any pressure to the ball to get it to scroll except when dirt is present. At that point it either doesn't scroll or requires some pressure to get it to move. I have experienced both situations. I would say normally, the weight of my finger is sufficient.

PS I was answering the OP, not you.

12. dkoralek macrumors 6502

dkoralek

This is the normal operation of the mighty mouse. It takes some getting used to. I used to have the problem with the wireless one where the right click would stop working all together until you reset the thing. I had to return the mouse for other issues, but the new one works like a charm.

cheers.