Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orasis1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
Hi,

I'm trying to install Mac OS X tiger unto an Ibook G4 - the Cd boots and I get the gray with the apple.. but then it goes to a really low quality picture of a mighty mouse with the numbers "1" (put in batteries) and "2" (turn on) underneath.

It's been at this screen for about 15 minutes and the cursor will not move with the track-pad. (I know the track pad is functional however.)

Do you actually need a mighty mouse to install Mac OS X tiger? Or is this strange behavior?

Thanks.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Are you using the disks that came with the iBook? They should be grey with "iBook" printed on them. Also, do you know what model of iBook it is? If you're not sure, just post back with as many specs as you know (some of them are on a label in the battery compartment).

orasis1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
Are you using the disks that came with the iBook? They should be grey with "iBook" printed on them. Also, do you know what model of iBook it is? If you're not sure, just post back with as many specs as you know (some of them are on a label in the battery compartment).

No, I bought the disks from ebay.

The Ibook is --- G4/1.33ghz/768MB Ram/40GB hard drive.

I plugged in a normal USB mouse and that kicked the install off - it got to the menu... but

It was all in horrible gray-scale and nothing is legible.. :( I know that the screen is good because I've tried linux with the frame buffer on it...

Ever have this happen to you?

orasis1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
This is a completely clean install by the way I have nothing on it at all so perhaps the text is so ugly because of a missing driver for the video? If so how come the folder with the question mark looks good and the grey apple load screen looks... well grey but sharp?

(really new to mac..)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.